20| Promises

13 years old

13 years old.

It was my birthday yesterday.

And I was not happy. At all.

The main reason of my sadness is my dog Cuddle, he ran away from the house few days ago and just on the day before my birthday, I got to know he came under a car and died.

Dad said he would bring me another dog. But he was not just a dog. He was my friend. He was my companion when I didn't have Sakina.

He was my first ever friend.

And my father said it was not a big deal and I should get over it.

If that didn't spoiled my birthday, then my father forgetting it totally did.

No one except Baba Anne has wished me. And my friend, Sakina.

She somehow managed to bring me a book and pencil and said that I could try drawing.

For her sake, I lifted up a pencil and started mindless doodling, but as my thoughts filtered my mind, I let my mind control my hand and after an hour I had drawn the tree in our backyard where we usually meet to play or talk.

I showed it to Sakina and she was too stunned to say anything.

I chuckle remembering her shocked expressions.

She promised to bring me more papers so she could see me drawing in front of her.

But since she can't get out of her school and go to a stationary, I said to her that I would bring the papers and pencils and all she had do was sit and watch.

I clutch the pencil case in my hand and tip toe around my father's study. He always has drawing sheets around here as he keeps drawing jewellery designs.

I take a few sheets in my hand and hide behind the large curtains as I hear footsteps approaching the study.

The door opens and my father along with his general assistant, Mr. Safi, Sakina's father walks in behind him. Mr. Safi is one of the kindest employee of my dad.

But today he had a very sad expression on his face as he stands in front of my father.

"What did the doctor said?" Dad asks him placing a few wooden boxes on the desk.

"They said he has a disease called sickle cell anaemia." Mr. Safi says with scratchy voice as if cried all the time.

Baba frowns, "Never heard of that disease."

Mr. Safi nods, "It is a rare genetic disease."

Dad nods, "May the almighty give him speedy recovery and good health."

Mr. Safi looks down. "After we went to the doctor you suggested, we got to know about how severe it is. For the past one year, all the other doctors kept repeating he has jaundice."