XXXIII. Points of Authority

-------------------------------------------------------------

"So tomorrow's the big day," Sam hummed on the other side of the phone, which made Catherine snort. 

"Yeah—my last day on Earth since I'm probably going to end up shooting myself after like a minute of listening to that man," she spat back as she ran a brush through her hair. Taking a shower after a long training session always felt great, and this time was no different. Things only improved further when Sam called at his usual time. He couldn't always call her, but whenever he could he would.

"He can't be that bad. I mean, you took on Megatron, after all," her friend replied with a chuckle, but Catherine cut him off with a sigh.

"That's because I could stick the Allspark Cube up his spark and kill him—I can't do that to Galloway. No—I have to be diplomatic and be his best little buddy and all eloquence-like. I would take Megatron over Galloway any day."

She could imagine Sam wincing as he hissed, "Ouch. He must really be bad then. Makes me glad that I'm back here safe and sound from all that political bull crap except for when I see it on T.V."

"Don't remind me," she grumbled, tossing her brush aside and nudging Cybermon so that he tumbled over with a delighted squeal. "By the way—how are things? I haven't gotten to ask in a while..."

"Not bad, to be honest. Parents are, well, you know, my parents. Or, well, actually, things are better since my grades have increased and all."

"That's right—you're doing all AP and have all A's right? I still don't believe it, but 'Bee showed me your grades. I don't know how you did it, but I'm proud of ya, Sammy-boy," she laughed, falling back onto her sheets and letting her little drones crawl over her.

He chuckled, "Thanks. I have no idea either, but hopefully it'll get me into a good college. I've already started applying, too. If you were still here we probably could've gone to the same one, 'Cat!"

"Huh. Yeah, maybe. That would've been so cool," she chuckled back. "How's the whole 'everyone-hates-you-because-of-your-girlfriend' thin? Oh, and hear anything from Miles?"

"No, nothing from Miles. His parents say he's fine, though. As for the first question; to be honest... I haven't really gotten anywhere. I'm not sure I want to, anyways. I guess you're the only friend for me," he laughed, and it was a genuine laugh. She laughed with him, and stopped as he finally continued. "Don't worry about me, though. I'm fine. 'Bee's practically you, only a robot and a guy, or, well, he acts like one, and Mikeala's there, too, and we're still doing great. How about you? Finally got yourself somebody?"

"Sam, you know the answer," she smirked. "No one here's the one for me, and that's without even knowing my little secret. Besides, I doubt anyone would get far with my little family. They're all big, protective guys with guns or robots with big guns. You do the math."

"Ah. Yeah. That, uh... That would pose a problem, wouldn't it? Well, if you got an Autobot..." he began and burst out into a cackle when she groaned and yelled at him to shut up.

"Ugh! Do you realize how much I get that?! I don't need you of all people talking about! Everyone's going to start thinking I really do have an Autobot boyfriend!" she shouted, and she felt Teletraan shift a little in her grip, not appreciating her yelling. "Besides, that'd be weird! A human and a Cybertronian? There are just so many things wrong with that!"

"Okay! Okay! Geez!" he laughed, no doubt pretending to raise his hands up in surrender. "But you would be the one to do it."

"Sam. Just stop talking. Right now. I have 'Bee on speed dial, and I'm not afraid to use him," she sighed, rubbing her brow, and the young man let out a small laugh before stifling it. "And to change the subject—Good news! Lennox and I will be heading home in just four days! Four days! We'll get to see each other soon!"