LXV. The Day the World Went Away Part I

-------------------------------------------------------------

The summer heat was hot—especially so in Nevada. However, Wheeljack and Ratchet’s work had allowed the suits to keep the NEST soldiers fairly cool. Not every group was able to have the newly upgraded suits, but Catherine’s had been one of those to be outfitted with them, and she was glad for it.

It had been years since the first battle between Autobots and Decepticons took place in the inner city, and, while the outer part was in use, the inner sections that had been damaged remained unoccupied and unrepaired. For some, they would rather not have it fixed—the memories may have been too much, or it was a reminder of what the Decepticons had done and could do. Or, perhaps, it was a reminder that the human race was not alone in the universe. Not anymore. Regardless, Optimus Prime led his Autobots and the NEST soldiers through the wreckage of the city streets, careful to take the paths with the least amount of rubble.

The Decepticon sighting had occurred outside of the city, but all the witnesses had confirmed seeing aerial ‘Cons flying to the standing buildings and then vanishing. Thankfully, none of the denizens took it upon themselves to find the enemy, and so NEST wasn’t out on a rescue mission, too. Unfortunately, they were having some trouble locating any signals. Whatever Decepticons had landed in the city, they were hiding very well, and that had set more than a few of them on edge—more so because it meant Soundwave might have a part to play in it all. Still, they managed to keep their cool and trekked on, keeping together as they combed the area.

After about three hours they decided to take a break, the Autobots acting as guards for their human companions. All popped out their water canisters for a quick drink and time to rest their feet. Catherine, on the other hand, took the time to get into contact with Diego Garcia. They were hours ahead, but they had been forced to delay and take their sending troops out. As it stood right now, only about five groups were in other countries investigating the sightings while the other ten were still waiting. That left a great deal of Autobots at the base, and only a small handful out looking for ‘Cons, but they would make do.

She also called to check up on Galloway, but the politician had yet to arrive. She dreaded the thought of him there without her or someone capable of burning him like no tomorrow there, but she knew her comrades and co-workers would do their job. She knew for a fact Blaster would keep things safe, but she still had to worry, even if only a little. They thankfully had about thirty minutes to an hour before the ass-of-a-man would arrive, so she forced herself to relax some. Besides, they had possibly hidden Decepticons nearby to worry about.

With a shake of her head, Catherine shut off her radio. She took another gulp of her canteen next and ran a bit of water through her hair. Even in the shade it was pretty hot, and their lack of results so far was making it feel even hotter. Sighing, she looked at the rest of their group—fifteen humans total, not including her. She’d only done a quick check on their backgrounds yesterday, but most had a good few years under their belts. Even so, she still had the most experience in NEST out of all of them. It was weird feeling knowing that—especially because that put her in tactical charge, which she hadn’t actually wanted, but there she was. It made her wish one of her teammates were here—they were Captains; they knew how to lead properly, but they were off being in charge of the other teams around the world. At least she had Prime’s lead to follow, and for it she was grateful.

“So, anything yet, ‘Sides?” the redhead called up to her bond mate as she tapped on his wheel armor.

“Not yet, but I think Prime and Elita are thinking of trying something different,” he hummed, glancing over at the towering form of his commander and the much, smaller, but just as authoritative, purple armor of the Femme commander.