LVIII. Sunburn

-------------------------------------------------------------

Catherine kicked her legs lazily against the surface of one of the many metal containers in the area, doing her best to contain her nervousness and excitement. In front of her, Sideswipe paced back and forth, gibbering both English and Cybertronian excitedly, or sometimes not speaking at all. In those moments she knew he was speaking with his brother through the bond, whom was just about to arrive at Diego Garcia. She knew to Sideswipe it had felt like an eternity since he was first able to sense his brother and then speak with him, and now it was only minutes before his feet would touch down on the landing pad and walk—or possibly roll— into the hanger. He wasn’t going to be alone, either.

Originally, Sunstreaker would have arrived the following week, but a surprising thing had happened. That something was called “Wheeljack”. It was an interesting story, to say the least, and had lifted a few spirits—including Catherine’s—despite the loss of their lead just two weeks ago. According to Sunstreaker, the ship Wheeljack and his companion, Mirage, had been traveling in appeared out of nowhere and nearly ran into his protoform. The “apology”, as it was called, was to allow Sideswipe’s twin aboard and join them on the ride. After that, the mech hadn’t cared. Thankfully, Wheeljack was more than happy to explain how he had managed to tap into an old technology made long ago, but never utilized because the mind behind it had been lost. Catherine hadn’t gotten the name, but it was essentially the same thing Air Raid used—teleportation.

Whatever the case, it was a one-use only kind of thing, and the core of the device to execute the teleportation was fried. Luckily for their new friends, their engines still worked, so their ship was able to high-tail it to Earth much faster than just in their protoforms. They were also able to establish a proper link with Diego Garcia and the rest of the Autobots, whom were overjoyed to hear from new companions. Ratchet was especially grateful as he, too, paced a bit, talking happily with both of his assistants. Wheeljack, according to the medic, would provide “essential” aid to the Autobots and their technology. Mirage, while still considered a good asset, was not as widely celebrated, although Hound and Smokescreen were there to greet him—apparently old comrades. Sunstreaker, of course, had Sideswipe, and all three of the mechs had Optimus Prime to meet them, whom stood at the edges of the hanger, hands clasped behind his back.

Being liaison, Catherine was required to be there, but even if she hadn’t she would have been. Sunstreaker was, in human terms, her brother-in-law. He was family. She had no idea what would happen, but he was family, and she would treat him as such. Besides, it was all too easy to see how happy her bond mate was as he waited. He looked ready to burst with the emotion, and she silently wished her part of the bond was still strong enough for her to touch just so she could feel and share in the joy.

“So,” Lennox suddenly spoke up from behind, nearly startling the redhead. “Sunstreaker, huh? He’s your brother-in-law, you said… so that makes him my son-in-law, I guess?”

Catherine chuckled as she leaned back on her arms, “I’ve never been good on figuring all that out, but, sure? Why not? You nervous about meeting him?”

“Me? Nah. I got Ironhide as back up, so no worries,” her father grinned, and she chuckled again.

“Don’t forget Chromia. She’ll probably get them before Ironhide does.”

“Oh, yeah. Yeah, she would. Sometimes I feel like she’s trying to be a mother hen to us. It’s weird,” the brown-haired man frowned, tilting his head thoughtfully.

“Don’t worry about it,” Catherine replied, waving it off with her hand. “It’s a Femme thing. She’s just gotten really attached, and all three of them kinda consider us like hatchlings—er, Cybertronian babies—and Femmes protected them back home, so they’re just keeping us safe, is all.”