LIV. The World We Live In

****PLEASE NOTE: THERE HAS A BEEN A TWO YEAR TIME SKIP

-------------------------------------------------------------

The Russian night air was chilly, particularly so with a light snowfall beginning and adding to the already rather high blanket on the road side. There were no lights along the road, but that was of no concern to the convey of black SUV’s which cruised around the bends with ease, coming closer and closer to the only light source in the area; a remote, but large facility armed with a multitude of guards, military vehicles, and large search-lights scanning for any intruders. There were even dogs at the ready, and each guard was armed with a weapon easily capable of ripping apart a man. If anyone managed to get by them, there were a good number of mounted guns to take care of them. Thankfully for the occupants of the vehicles, they were not to become victims of the dangerous armory, and were allowed through the gates with a simple bark of orders from a man in the lead car.

They pulled up to the entrance where a robust, armored soldier rushed out to open the doors, allowing two well-dressed men to step out. One was similar in look to the soldier, though larger in girth and shorter by a head. His hair was thicker, too, and slicked back to the neck, while a grayed, bushy beard trailed from his ears to his chin, rolling over his upper lip. He looked neared his middle years due to his wrinkles, but there was still much life in him as he bustled through the snow to the door. His companion was not nearly as similar; they looked American, and appeared still fairly young with lush, dark hair and a face well shaven with few wrinkles. They stood about the same height as the soldier whom had let them out and now acted as escort, and was about the same size. At least, beneath the thick fur coat he had wrapped around him to keep the chill out.

Thankfully for the second man, the facility was heated, so their coats were discarded, revealing their hidden suits. The soldier stayed with them as they walked through, leading the way and opening doors for them. The younger man's face betrayed no emotion as they went, and any pokes or jokes from the shorter man could not get anything from him, although the well-dressed American happily laughed and even tried a few goes himself. It all stopped, however, as they passed through the final door and into a large, hangar-like room.

Soldiers stood atop the cat walks, armed and on guard, while engineers and scientist hustled about the ground floor, moving between tables. The American man smirked, pleased by the sight of the room, and at what was on the tables. They were not Earth creations—even a young child would have known that. For some of the technology, the thing that gave them away was their sheer size, as some looked better suited for a giant. However, the rest were given away by their alien-like designs, shapes, and lights. Those that were not huge could easily be held by human’s hands, and both those and the larger ones were capable of much destruction.

“I see your ‘work’ has gone well,” the American mused, coming close to one of the weapons to peer at it. It was similar in length and shape to a shotgun, only with a single barrel and it definitely would not be shooting bullets. No, these weapons shot something far more deadly.

“Indeed; in fact, we should be able to ship them out in a few weeks,” the Russian replied, his voice much deeper and rougher than the other man.

“Ah, so the payments made it through alright?”

The Russian nodded, “Yes. Your… ‘Associate’ took care of everything. I was told they would be handling the delivery, too.”

“You sound unconvinced,” the American man hummed, and his companion turned, leaning against the table while stroking a hand across the alien weapon’s back.

“I mean no offense, of course, but… It is hard to trust a client we never see. How can we know if these weapons will be shipped to the correct destination?”