VI. Save the World

-------------------------------------------------------------

“So, um, I was thinking about Lennox’s plan,” Catherine spoke up, about five minutes into the ride. Sam and Mikeala, not needing to watch the road seeing as Bumblebee did the driving for them, turned back towards her. “And, uh, how the hell are we supposed to keep it hidden from the Decepticons in a city? It took four football fields of concrete to hide it in Hoover Dam!”

She could have sworn she saw her friend pale a little, and even Mikeala bit her lip, eyebrows scrunching together, as she, too, realized the problem. Maybe bringing the fact up right at that moment wasn’t the best idea, but she couldn’t help it. As soon as the other Autobots had fallen in line, her mind had quickly run through the events that might go down and she suddenly realized how trying to hide the ancient Cube sitting her lap--which still refusing to stop making her skin tingle-- was, well, silly. Surely the Decepticons could find it in a city out in the open if it took such great amounts of material to hide it for so long. She’d never been to the place herself, but she was pretty sure there wasn’t anything like Hoover Dam’s walls there.

“I mean, I know it was kind of just quick thinking on Lennox’s part, but, still,” she added. “And shouldn’t we just leave it with the Autobots? You guys were looking for it and now you have it, so what’s the plan, ‘Bee?”

“Danger, Will Robinson! Look a distraction! And it’s outta here!” his radio replied.

“Distract the Decepticons long enough to sneak it out?” the redhead suggested and received an emphatic “yes”.

“It makes sense—fight the bad guys, sneak the Cube out of their reach, and then finish them off before retrieving it again,” Mikeala nodded.

“Yeah, but who are we giving it to?” Sam asked.

"There’s strong, and then there’s Army strong.”

“I just hope the army’s going to be enough then,” Catherine mused, clutching the Allspark tighter.

“Don’t stop believing!” Bumblebee sang, and the three couldn’t help but chuckly lightly despite their dire situation. Catherine let it go then, not wanting to worry the others anymore, and really wanting to believe he was right. The three of them could barely take on Frenzy until they caught the little bugger off guard with a weapon and decapitated him. Could they honestly take on a full-sized Decepticons? And what if they were outnumbered? The possibility had been lingering in her thoughts ever since Lennox had mentioned his tally of the enemy. Already the ‘Cons had three or four—only two more and the Autobots would have a matched fight. Hell, it may as well as have been even with Megatron, who had to count for at least two!

No. No. Calm down. You’ve got Optimus Prime, Ironhide, Jazz, Ratchet, and Bumblebee. These guys kick ass! She told herself quickly and let her fingers trace the Allspark’s hieroglyphics to keep some part of her mind busy. The Army was on their side, as well—that had to count for something, and Lennox has said something about the Air Force. They could do something, right? And hadn’t they shouted about some special ammo when getting their weapons together? If the human soldiers could harm the enemy, then their chances were rising.

They just had to make sure the Allspark stayed out the bad guys’ hands. Claws. Whatever they had. They just had to do that.

How hard could that be?

-------------------------------------------------------------

-O-

-------------------------------------------------------------