LII. Only the Young

-------------------------------------------------------------

“I feel ridiculous,” Catherine frowned, tugging at the navy blue edge of what she referred to as a “women’s suit”. While it was much better than a dress, she still felt awkward in the material. It was the most form-fitting thing she’d ever worn, and she was fairly certain if she so much as thought of flexing, the top would rip. She seriously missed her shorts and pants and loose shirts.  

“Oh, it suits you just fine,” Sarah Lennox spoke up from behind her while she struggled to get Annabelle to sit still long enough to pull a dress over her head. “This is a very important meeting and you are going to look your best.”

The redhead huffed, and her adoptive mother sighed as she rolled her eyes. She smiled seconds later, though, and Annabelle giggled as her Sunday dress was finally fitted over her head. While the young woman was being difficult, it was that very behavior that made Sarah happy. It seemed like forever since her adoptive daughter had showed any signs of her old self, and she was just glad that the depression that had taken a hold of her was gone. Whatever Sam had done a few weeks ago, it had worked, and now they were in Washington D.C. about to meet with the President—far away from home—and she was complaining about wearing some fancy clothing!

“If only Will was here to see you,” Sarah chuckled, and Catherine looked back at her like she was crazy.

“He would take a picture and show the others and they would laugh, so I, for one, am happy he is not here,” she barked back. “Ugh. It’s just so—so… ridiculous!”

“You already said that, Catherine, and it’s only for a few hours.  You need to look nice and professional for when you meet the President. Then we’ll have dinner with the Witwicky’s at which point you may change if you’d like. Honestly—you’re nineteen, but you still act like a teenager!”

The redhead grinned, “You love it, though.”

“Only sometimes,” Sarah smiled back. “Just try not to rub off on Annie, alright?”

“Oh, you don’t need to worry. I’ll make sure she’s only naughty for her daddy.”

“Ah, well that’s good to know. Anyways, now that I’ve got her all set, we can get going.”

Catherine looked herself over in the mirror once more before sighing in defeat. She slipped on her—thankfully—flat shoes, which Sarah had bought for her recently when she refused to wear open-footed or heeled anything, and once the blonde-haired woman had purse and baby in hand, they headed off to the hotel’s elevator.

It had barely been two weeks ago that’d the redhead had finally contacted NEST in her prolonged “vacation”, as she preferred to put it, and got in touch with Lennox, Prime, and Morshower. They had been happy to hear from her—particularly her adoptive father and Prime. There wasn’t too much that could be said over the phone, but they made it clear she would be welcome back as soon as she felt she was ready. They’d also informed her of something Sam had forgotten to; that the President wished to award him with a medal. It wasn’t to be a public event, too, and, while she wasn’t going to receive a medal—the higher ups still wanted to keep NEST low key—she would be going to finally meet the President in person, which was why she was wearing the “suit”. It was figured it might do some real good if she did, and she agreed at once.

And so, two weeks later and she, Sarah, and Annabelle were making their way through the lobby of the hotel they'd been staying at and out to the parking garage where Sideswipe's sleek form was waiting. The Autobot had been kind enough to drive them the whole way, acting as escort and protector, and hadn’t caused any trouble or made any complaints despite being cooped up in his alternate form. They could have honestly gone by army escort if they wished, and it had almost seemed that way when her teleporting kid—Air Raid—popped out nowhere and effectively surprised her and Lennox’s cousin whom had arrived to work on the farm. That had been an awkward conversation, and the Seeker was heavily berated for his careless actions. Granted, he seemed to enjoy the “attention” she was giving him more than anything else, seeing as they had not been able to see her in a long while, but he did eventually go back. In the end, they decided it was better that Sideswipe took them; otherwise her Seekers would probably start fighting to be the ones to take them to the White House.