LXXI. Points of Authority II

-------------------------------------------------------------

"Aw, jeez. This can't be good. The Dominatrix is back," Anthony groaned as his eyes turned to the small covey of suited people bustling through the doors. Catherine followed his gaze, catching sight of the woman in question, and scowled. As far as she had been told, Mearing wasn't supposed to be here. Technically speaking she had the right to be, but there had been no notification or sign of her coming. Rather, the redhead expected her here after Optimus and Ratchet had returned with Sentinel Prime. To make matters worse, her "posse" consisted of uniformed soldiers—Generals, to be exact. They were the ones that even Morshower would bow his head to in terms of authority. It didn't sit well with her stomach at all.

"Boss, where are you goin'?" Leo asked as the redheaded young woman skirted to the stairs and headed down.

"To find out why she's here," was her quick reply, and they watched as she hurried over to where her father and Morshower were stationed. Lennox heard her coming and turned to her with as much confusion and annoyance as she had. Both looked to Morshower and, though he wasn't confused, he was severely unhappy. However, he kept it concealed behind a firm frown and an exasperated release of air through his nose.

"What could she want this time?" the General groaned, folding his arms, and waiting for the group to make their way over. Mearing may have been his boss, but he wasn't going to humor her by going half way. That was apparently fine by the National Security Director, whom flaunted her usual haughty “I'm-in-charge demeanor”, and came to stand before them with her hands on her hips. Catherine couldn't help feeling a flicker of hot rage sear through her belly, but kept it quelled as she and the other two men saluted.

"Congratulations, General. The mission was a success," she began, but none of them were fooled by her politeness.

"Thank-you, ma'am, although I'm surprised you came all this way just to congratulate us," the older man hummed, and there a small twitch in the corner of the woman's mouth—perhaps an attempt at a smile.

"Well, I did also come to check up on the vault."

"The 'vault'?" Catherine whispered to her father. He shrugged in return, just as lost as she was. The General, however, was not, and held back another groan as he nodded.

"As was discussed, we prepared the sealed room in one of the back hangars for keeping the technology they found."

"Wait—what? Why wasn't I informed?" the redhead blurted, the rage growing further.

Mearing regarded her with a snide expression, "I'm afraid it's above your pay roll."

"What she means," Morshower spoke quickly, looking to the liaison, "is that it was discussed in private between the President, Prime, the Director, and myself. It was decided the technology would be sealed away until it was deemed safe, and also to keep it hidden from the Decepticons."

"But that technology belongs to the Autobots. The United States doesn't have the rights to keep it from them or decide what to do with it!"

"Optimus Prime agreed to it," the older woman mused, an arrogant, victorious glint in her eyes. "Now, if you don't mind, the other Generals and I would like to investigate the vault ourselves and discuss certain matters with you, General Morshower."

"Of course," the older man nodded to Mearing and the men behind her. The National Security Director led the way, with NEST's General right on her heels. Lennox and Catherine saluted again, as was necessary, but stayed where they were to watch the group head through a hallway in the back, which would lead to said vault. It was a place they hadn't found much use for until today, apparently. The thought made the redhead's stomach sink further and she cursed aloud, not caring her father was right next to her. If he had issue with it, he didn't show it beyond grasping her shoulder comfortingly with his hand.