XIX. Welcome to Paradise Part I

----------------------------------------+

“So how’d it go for ya?” Jazz asked as he strolled through the halls, Catherine grasping the side of his helmet with one hand and the other stuffed into her pocket. With another Autobot she would have needed to use her free hand, but the white-armored mech moved in such a way that she was jerked far less than before.

“Just about peed my pants in the first few minutes,” she laughed. “But once I found my courage it got good. It took longer than I would’ve liked to explain everything, though. I’m not even sure I’ll remember half of it tomorrow, but that’s where the Marissa woman is supposed to come in. She’s pretty cool by the way.”

“Oh yeah? Sounds like things are goin’ good for ya then!”

“Mmmhmmm. And I plan to keep it that way. I could maybe use some help sometimes, though. I don’t suppose you’d be kind enough to give me a hand?” she smiled slyly, and the mech chuckled.

“How can I say no ta ya? Just say the word and I’ll take ya ta the best hidin’ spots around here—ones even ‘ol Ratch couldn’t sniff ya out from.”

“Oh you are such a bad ‘bot, Jazz,” she teased, waggling her finger at him. “And speaking of Ratchet, how about we pay a visit? There’s something he wanted to see. It’s in my room, though.”

He raised a metallic brow, “That so? Anythin’ ta do with what happened at Lennox’s place?”

"Of course you would figure it out,” she grinned. “And, yeah, it does. You should meet Teletraan, too! He’s really very sweet and adorable!”

“Sure thing,” he smiled back, turning left down the hallway. She almost recognized the path, but she couldn’t be sure. The walls looked pretty much the same all around the base. She hadn’t looked, but she hoped there would be some signs, or else she’d have to rely on Teletraan or somebody else to help her around. That or get a map. Did they even have those here?

 They ended up being closer to her room than she thought, and within minutes Jazz had her stepping off his hand onto the floor. He waited while she hurried inside and woke up the little phone drone. As always, he was ecstatic to see her and chirped happily at the prospect of meeting the other Autobots. Since humans weren’t generally allowed over in the area, she let the little guy crawl up onto her shoulder rather than put in her pocket. He was very happy to be able to nuzzle Catherine’s cheek, and was relieved to have her neck to hide behind when the redhead stood right below Jazz.

“Aww, he thinks you’re intimidating,” she laughed softly as she coaxed the little guy out from behind her. Jazz chuckled back, crouching down low to bring his face closer. He waved at the phone drone like an adult would to a kid, and it seemed to work, as the little guy perked up curiously.

“He doesn’t speak besides the chirps and smiley faces he shows, but Ironhide said he could send messages through your comm. link or something,” Catherine explained, motioning for Jazz to set his hand out for her to climb onto.

“Yeah, ‘Hide talked a little ‘bout ‘em; said he wasn’t full Cybertronian, but he understood both ours and ya language.”

“It’s true—he doesn’t have a spark like you guys. I think it’s more like he’s running on a never-ending battery or something. I’m not really sure, to be honest. But that’s what Ratchet’s for, right? Granted, I don’t really mind what he is—all I know is that he’s adorable, smart, and the most perfect little guy ever.”

Teletraan chirped and whirred happily, increasing his nuzzling, though had to pause to grasp onto her shirt for balance as Jazz lifted them up to his shoulder while he stood up himself. The mech apologized when the little guy whirred unhappily, but he was happy again in the next moment.