LVI. A Message

-------------------------------------------------------------

Catherine sighed as she rubbed her hair through a towel, squeezing out the last remnants of thick water droplets. She tossed the towel over her shoulder and then looked into the mirror. She frowned as she touched as the shallow scrape on her face, which stung at her touch. She had a few others to match on her hip and thigh, all caused by debris created by the ‘Cons. It would heal in a few days, thankfully, but she put a thin bandage over them anyways. That done, she sighed, and left, heading out into her room where Sideswipe was already lounging on his berth.

They had only recently returned from Diego Garcia thanks to Air Raid’s help, and she was certain his brothers were already here, too. They generally were never too far apart from each other for too long, except when missions were involved. She was certain they’d be pestering Sideswipe to bring her to them soon enough, or even come knock of the door—possible barge in if they felt so bold. She, nor the silver mech, really minded, but it was nice to just have some alone-and-relaxation together.

Sideswipe hummed happily as he lowered his hand down for her once she was near the berth, and gently set her into the hammock, which was strung against the nearby wall. She never worried about it breaking—it had been made to last forever, essentially, which made it easy for her to fall in and throw her arms over the sides. She closed her eyes for a few moments before turning to look after the silver mech, whose face was close enough to reach out and touch while he leaned against the wall near to her. With a smile, she did so, setting her fingers on his nose.

“Hey, you,” she called out, and he pressed into the touch a little.

“Hey,” he called back with a grin as his optics lowered to her bandage. “Looks like those guys got you a little.”

She waved his concern off, “Only a scrape—no different from a dent in your armor. You should worry about those guys in the infirmary. I’d hate to be one of the ones with an Energon burn. Nasty stuff.”

“Yeah, that’s for sure,” he replied, and she grinned as she turned her body so that she was lying on her stomach.

“Ugh, I just want to sleep for like a day,” she sighed, closing her eyes.

The silver mech shrugged, “Why don’t we go on vacation then? Go cruising on the streets? We could go to the ranch, or just go spend the next weekend with Sam, ‘Bee, and Carly again.”

“Oh God, I would love that, but I still have work to do. Blaster’s bound to have his report ready,” she rumbled, lifting her head back up and setting it into her palm.

“Just leave that stuff to Lennox or Prime or Smokescreen or whoever. You need a break.”

“You’re so sweet sometimes, ‘Sides,” she laughed while she shook her head. “But I still need to get some things done. If Blaster finds anything we might be able to start hunting those bastards down and ending this stupid Cybertech business. Maybe once it’s over I can relax, but not now.”

He leaned closer, “I say slag all this business. You’ve been slaving over it for months now—more than anyone else. You deserve a break, and I’m not suggesting anymore.”

“Don’t you dare ask Optimus!” she barked, leaning up, but a smirk was already on his face as he leaned away from her jabbing finger. His optics gleamed like the miscreant he was as he gave her a thumbs-up. She groaned and lay back down. “Sometimes, I wonder why I love you.”

“Because you think I’m adorable, that’s why,” he purred back. “And you can relax—Smokescreen will cover for you while you’re gone. He is a liaison for us, too, y’know. Now. Where should we go?”