LIII. Sigh No More

-------------------------------------------------------------

Catherine sighed deeply as she zipped her duffle bag closed. It had taken her about twenty minutes to get the last of her things together—she had gotten the majority the night before—and she just needed to grab a few more items on the way out to be completely done. She almost hadn’t expected to be able to leave so soon. It had only been a few weeks since she’d given NEST a call and only two since she’d spoken with the President, but she was already approved for travel to Diego Garcia. It was kind of unbelievable that she was finally going back. A part of her was actually a little worried.

“Got everything?” a metallic voice rang out and she turned to find a semi-transparent young man standing by her window. He looked like a basic American NEST soldier, only his facial expression was very bland and essentially emotionless. She was also able to walk through him, which she did with a grin as she came to the window and opened it. She was met with a silver-armored face and bright blue, shining optics.

“You can just tap on my window, y’know,” she laughed as he leaned closer, and then glanced back at the hologram, which was turned to face her. “Besides, you still suck at the hologram or form or whatever thingy.”

“Got your attention, didn’t it? ‘Course, it doesn’t compare to the real thing,” he purred, flickering one optic—a Cybertronian version of a wink.

She rolled her eyes, “Uh-huh. And to answer your question... pretty much. Just some things left downstairs. You glad to finally be heading back?”

“I don’t mind it here, but I don’t mind seeing the others again. Granted, it’s nice not being on duty,” the silver mech smirked, and she returned it with a smile.

“What a lazy bum,” she chuckled softly, playfully punching his nose. “Is everyone doing okay, though?”

“You’re going to find out in a few hours,” he mused, but then paused as he noticed a frown flicker across her features. “What’s wrong? Are you worried? You know you don’t need to.”

She frowned further, folding her arms, “I know, and I’m not worried… not exactly… I guess, I’m nervous? Maybe? I mean… I kind of just… left. I can’t believe Air Raid wasn’t even mad when he showed up. I’ve been a terrible mom to them… I didn’t even pay my respect to Slingshot and he’s my kid, and I didn’t even go see… see… Jazz or m-my team…God, I just left my team and all of them!”

Sideswipe’s optics softened as he leaned forward more and nudged his forehead against hers gently. She quieted and pressed back into the touch, and let herself breathe in deeply. His optics lit up, but he did not move away.

“They’ll understand. Pit, if I understand, then they will, and don’t worry about those little slaggers of yours. They’re just waiting for you to come back since they can’t come here. And besides, it’s like I keep telling you—I’ll keep you safe from anyone and anything. Any fragger tries anything and they get to taste my blades.”

“Oh, Sideswipe,” she laughed, taking his head into her hands as best she could. “Thanks, although please don’t do the whole ‘taste-my-blade-thing’. That would be bad… and I didn’t know you were such a nice guy. Where was this a year ago, hmm?”

His optics brightened, “We weren’t spark mates then.”

“Well, aren’t I the lucky girl—or well, I guess you’d call me a femme since I resemble them more. Er—regardless, I like it,” she purred, and then laughed again. “Although I feel kinda weird talking like this; all flirty-ish n’ stuff.”

“I can stop if you want. I figured you’d like it. It’s what humans do, apparently.”

“No, no it’s fine… but wait—what do Cybertronians do then?” she inquired, tilting her head as she let him go. He leaned back in turn, also tilting his head as he thought.