Chapter 3: The Dark Age Reborn

Floating in the vastness of space, sitting in the throne room of the Sanctuary, Amara plays with lightning at her fingertips, thinking about Darkseid, his voice echoing through her head, and how she will go about defeating him, thinking of the possible allies she will have. Hela walks in, offering her leader something to drink.

"I have no need for liquids or solids," protests Amara.

"It was Asgard's finest. Odin and I drank these after every conquest of the realm. Seems it is only fitting to drink on this occasion. Three universes, plundered to darkness."

"Two, technically, though mine never got to properly form into a larger universe. But we shall return to that universe to finish the work we started. Darkseid could defeat us in our goals, with several mere humans, aliens and so on. We do not have the numbers. Not even with the Scarlet Witch could we stand a chance right now. Perhaps...I could give that drink a try." Amara takes the chalice and raises her glass to Hela.

"Back in your universe, you were able to swallow everything into darkness, your brother included. Why does Darkseid worry you? Could you not merely swallow Apokolips?"

"When I did it the first time, there were only five beings in all of the universe, besides me: my brother, and his four archangels. They were no threat to me, not anymore. My brother was too soft and did not want to harm me, which was his downfall." Amara looks back on her and God floating in the nothing, just being with one another. Her memories are interrupted by a crash of lighting, and a green flame entering the throne room.

"What have you brought for me, Hela?" Amara asks.

"This is not my doing." Hela puts on her headdress and unsheathes two necroswords, pointing them at the fire.

The fire clears and Maleficent appears out of the flame: a tall, slender, pale woman with black curved horns. She is clad in a black robe and with her, she carries a staff with a glowing green orb at the tip.

"Well, well..." Maleficent chuckles, "quite a glittering assemblage aboard this vessel; the Goddess of Death, and the being known as 'the Darkness.' Such an honor to be in your presence." Maleficent bows slightly.

"Who are you? And how did you get aboard the Sanctuary?" Amara asks.

"Why, I am Maleficent: Mistress of All Evil and Queen of the Moors. I've been observing you and your Legion for some time. Your first annihilation of a universe found a hint of magic make its way towards me into my world. I sat and observed your actions, saw how you handled those foolish heroes, those Amazons and men in green. It is that power and sheer darkness that fascinated me. Since I've been awakened by this new revelation of other worlds, it is an idea that fascinates me."

"And why have you come here, Maleficent?" Amara raises an eyebrow and sits back on her throne.

Maleficent bends the knee to Amara and Hela, "I do not wish to be an enemy here. The strength that you possess, it would be foolish of me to try and challenge it. Your strength is beyond my own. Consider me an admirer. I come to offer my fidelity and a request."

"Request? Out with it, or this necrosword will go clean through you." Hela extends her sword out, in the manner of an execution, to Maleficent's neck.

"In my dominion, there is a king, 'Stefan.' That fool took away the one thing I valued most and continues to attack my land. Help me defeat this tyrant, and I shall aid you in plunging the world into darkness."

"If this Stefen attacks your land," Amara asks, "why would you allow me to plunder it?"

"Seeing what lies beyond my world, all the universes, the Moors are tiny and insignificant compared to the grand scheme of the 'multiverse' as it is called."