Chapter 12.5: Christmas on Mordor

December 25th, Christmas time. For some within the Legion, Christmas was a time they would spend with their loved ones back in their world. To others, it was just a foreign concept to them and a foreign tradition other planets would celebrate.

Amara never had a Christmas, the concept of a calender, holidays, and everything of that sort was non existent to her at the time. After her encounter with Darkseid upon returning from the Maul's universe, she decided to keep this interaction to herself, once she fully processes the gravity of the situation.

"Knockity-knock!" Missy says, knocking on Amara's chamber door. Amara telepathically opens the chamber door. Missy walks in and sees Amara standing by the fire. She stairs into the flames and shoots lightning at the wood to keep the flames going.

"These human vessels are interesting. The way the body yearns for warmth and cold, it is staggeringly needy." Amara says.

"Don't get me started on humans. One hearted freaks of nature. Nasty things, really. Anywho, I was checking on the TARDIS timeline and saw it was Christmastime in my, albeit empty and nonexistent, universe. I was wondering if there were any holidays or celebrations you did?"

"What's Christmas?" Amara asks, looking at Missy.

"What?" Her jaw opens. "Christmas? Santa Claus? Reindeer? Nada?"

"The universe was empty and only had a small handful of us. We had no concepts of holidays or celebrations. When I arrived to Jack's world and learned of Halloween, I was most confused."

"Huh, interesting." Missy rubs her chin. "Well I personally don't give a damn about Christmas either, but I do know some of the humans within our Legion did have a fondness over it."

"What exactly is Christmas? What is the purpose of it?" Amara asks.

"Well, according to many, and your not going to like this answer, Christmas is celebrated by many across all worlds to celebrate the birth of Jesus Christ and-"

"Who?" 

"God's son, anyways, it's also a time for-"

"God has a son! Where is he now! He must be stopped, he must take swift action against-" Missy smacks Amara on the head with her umbrella.

"Shut up!" Missy shouts. "Anyways, that's according to those who followed that religion. Most people just use as an excuse to buy presents, decorate homes, meals, and promote love, kindness, goodwill towards men, all that boring, drab, shite."

Amara rolls her eyes. "I regret asking. And there are those within the Legion that celebrate this?"

"Well, it would seem. David Kane, Wanda Maximoff, and the other humans celebrated with their families, but now that they have no world to go back to, they are attempting to celebrate it here." Missy jolts up. "Oh, that reminds me." Missy reaches into her pocket and pulls out a small present wrapped in black wrapping paper and a purple bow. "Merry Christmas."

"What's this?" Amara asks, holding the box.

"A present. People exchange them after looking through a list of what the other wants. You are hard to read so I got you an assumption. It's nothing much, just a trifle and-" Missy hears the sound of lightning and sees Amara zap the present. "No!"

The present, all charred up, drops on the floor, as Amara sees a broken vortex manipulator. "Oh, sorry, Missy. I wasn't supposed to..."

"Do that? No. People normally rip the paper off." Missy sighs. "I had made that into the form of a necklace for you to travel space-time. To save you the portals and magic." Missy grabs the broken vortex necklace. "Give me some time to fix it, and it will be yours again."