Chapter 21: From the Spider-Verse

In the forest of Nurnen on Middle-Earth, Lex, Grodd, Mr. Freeze, Firefly, and Black Manta all wander through the forest trying to find the light that they were chasing back in Mordor.

"We've been following this light for two hours, Luthor," Firefly complains, "the only things we've found so far are dirt, mud, fog and things that smell like dirt."

"Well, Bridgit, if this is such an inconvenience for you, why don't you head back and explain to Missy about how you left us." Luthor turns around and glares down at Pike.

"You're owing me big for this, Luthor. I don't appreciate having my time wasted on any earth." Pike walks forward with her flamethrower in hand, burning her way through the forest.

"Want me to cool her off?" Mr. Freeze asks, pointing his cryogenic freeze gun at her with the slightest grin on his face.

"As interesting as a song of ice and fire may be right now, at ease." Luthor pushes the gun down. "We have to direct our focus to whatever is out there instead of one another. Let me see if there's any activity." Lex goes to check his device on his wrist, but finds the device is bugging out. Luthor smacks the device, but nothing seems to work.

"Is there an issue, Luthor?" Grodd asks, coming up behind him and grabbing his wrist.

"The device is bugging out. It shouldn't be doing this." Luthor yanks his arm away from Grodd and continues to try and fix it.

"Fix the device. We will come to no avail should it malfunction, and we will lose our way back to the castle." Grodd marches on leaving Luthor behind and notices a bright blue light up ahead in the forest.

Black Manta takes notice of this, and steps in front of Grodd. "You guys seeing this?" Black Manta tries to see through the lens of his helmet, but the figure is transparent with electricity cracking through him.

"Blast it." Grodd commands Manta. Black Manta fires his beams at the figure, but the red blast goes through it, only hitting the bushes and trees behind it.

Pike leaps out of the way of the blast and lands on the dirt. She gets up and pats herself off. "A warning next time! Let me try this." Firefly goes closer to the figure and tries to burn it with her flamethrower, but the flames also pass through the figure. Pike steps back as it notices the figure twitch. "Uh...guys." The other four take notice of the figure, as it opens its bright blue eyes.

"Stand back!" Luthor rushes up to Bridgit and gets in front of her. "Excuse me! It would seem you've been misplaced here." Luthor applies a hand repulsor onto his right hand.

"What the hell is that?" Black Manta asks.

"It's a hand repulsor. I was talking with Wanda about her universe, and she told me about a man named Tony Stark, who had an arc reactor as a power source. That inspired me to create new weapons, such as this." Luthor shoots a beam from the repulsor to the figure, which hits him, sending him back a few feet.

The figure gets back up, shaking his head, as a rubber gray suit begins to form around the figure. "What is this place?" The figure asks with a voice that sounds electronic and raspy. "Who are you?"

"Lex Luthor. Quid pro quo." Luthor keeps his repulsor up.

"Max...Dillon...it's all a blur." Max puts his hands up to his ears, as he begins to hear whispers inside his head.

"Send them flying. Kill them all. Let the sparks fly." The voices whisper.

"Leave me...alone!" Dillon swings his arms out, as a blast of electricity goes out from his body, knocking everyone back. Mr. Freeze's suit and gun malfunction, as he lays on the ground, gasping for air. Manta's suit begins to malfunction as well, with David taking off his helmet and tossing it to the side.