Chapter 18 | Hang out

I was walking towards the mall, there was a bigger one further up which would have us travel by train. But this one was big enough, especially for Amajiki and I. He texted me after dinner yesterday asking if I wanted to go here. Of course, I said yes. I still didn't know if it was considered a date or anything, but I decided to have a bit of nice clothes but not too obvious that it would be a date.

You'd question if it was, but at the same time, i still wore something nice. I told my parents I'd just go out shopping for a bit and didn't know what time I'd be home. My mom probably already had her suspicions, but I had to ignore it to not make it even worse.

After a bit of a walk, I arrived at the mall. I was on my phone checking for any messages that were sent, especially from a certain indigo haired boy. He didn't send anything, so I turned it off and started looking around. It was easy to find him because it wasn't super busy. He was standing at the entrance, staring at his phone, lost in thoughts, it seemed.

I walked towards him, and he didn't notice yet. When I got closer to him, I noticed that he stared at his phone a bit sad or something. I slowly got closer towards him. He didn't see me approaching, so I gently tugged at his sleeve. He jumped up, and his eyes widened. I guess I scared him a bit.

I gave a small, warm smile, letting him know it was me. He immediately calmed down and sighed deeply. "Not in the mood? You seemed down." I questioned him, hoping he wouldn't pick it up as a bad thing. He was staring at his phone, and I felt a bit worried.

He shook his head slightly, probably just saying no. It didn't really make me feel relieved at all, though. I could feel the awkwardness slowly creeping up, and I didn't know what to say or do. I came here thinking he might have somewhere for us to go, but I shouldn't have gotten my hopes up too much.

It was quiet between us, and I felt like shit, thinking to just tell him we could leave or something. I started shuffling around a bit and turned to the side, not really wanting to face him and feeling a bit disappointed. Suddenly, a hand grabbed my arm. It was gentle but quick. I shot back up to look at him. He was staring a bit at the floor but keeping his grip on my arm.

There was tension, and I felt like he was holding back his shivering. "I.. I know a place.. we can go to." He was super awkward and didn't know what to say, I turned back to face him properly and pushed my head under his so I could see him better. He got shocked a bit but then gazed his eyes towards mine.

I made a warm and gentle smile come up to my face and clear up the awkwardness and tension there was just a second ago. "Alright, let's go." Amajiki's eyes seemed to brighten up just from those words, and I could see the little movement of his lips curling up just a bit. My smile only grew even more.

I suddenly realized the position we were in and started blushing before pulling my head back to normal, the warm red hue covering my whole face. Amajiki released his grip from my arm and eventually led us to this place he wanted to go to. We actually went away from the mall, which surprised me since he wanted me to come here.

It took a few minutes, and we entered a small square with some market stalls. I looked around a bit while still following Amajiki, I've been to lots of places, but not everywhere. We got to a small street and then turned around to suddenly stand still in front of a door. He guided me through only to be faced with another door.

I just waited patiently because I had no idea where I was or what I was supposed to do. He closed the one behind us to which we just came through, and then opened to one in front of me. I was immediately met by warm lights, all sorts of colors, and a warming aura.

Amajiki waited for me to walk in first and closed the door behind me. Suddenly I stopped in my tracks and looked around, there were quite a lot of people but it was so calm and peaceful. And all around, were cats laying and walking everywhere. I visibly started freaking out and turned around quickly with a smile on my face.

"This place is so cool!" I half whispered not to want to embarrass myself in front of everyone, Amajiki turned his head away, hiding himself. It only made me smile even more at his shyness.

A waitress showed us to some seats, a nice small table at the corner. All the lights made the aesthetic so much better. There were warm orange lights all around and then small pink and blue ones. The cats were sleeping, playing, or walking around. One of them laying super close to our table, a beautiful white one.

We chose something from the menu, as well as a little treat, because everything seemed so delicious. It took a bit for it to arrive, and in the meantime, we kept petting the cats that came to say hi.

One of the cats got on my lap and started purring at my touch. I moved my hand through its thick and soft fur, absolutely enjoying the moment. I was focused on the cat and a warm smile on my face. "I can't believe you found this place. It's great!" I kept my gaze on the cat who layed comfortably on my lap.

I had a feeling that this was a last-minute thing Amajiki decided. "I'm glad you like it." His voice was low but felt so warm and gentle, I moved my head up to look at him. He tensed up a bit because he was looking at me the whole time. I acted like I didn't know and smiled at him, I could see his form relaxing almost immediately.

"I wasn't sure if this was something you'd like.." his eyes averted to his drink in front of him. He felt unsure, and I knew exactly what he meant. "You wanted to take me to the mall, right?" He moved his head up again and nodded slightly, his indigo eyes focused on mine. I chuckled slightly and embarrassingly moved my gaze back to the cat I was petting. "Honestly, I like this much more..."

I felt my cheeks burning up again from the embarrassment, I kept my eyes on the cat, but a smile was still on my face. It felt really comforting here, and I felt really grateful for Amajiki bringing me here. It was probably one of the best things I have done in a long time, Kanna always wanted to go to the busy areas with lots of people. But this felt so much better than that, so comforting, so warm.

I was really happy at that moment and probably for the rest of the day. I have lots of fun with Amajiki and also just being able to hang out with him. I felt like he was opening up more and becoming less shy with me. I could really enjoy the parts where he'd relax from something I said or just my smile, like I made that happen.

He offered to walk me back, and I immediately said he wouldn't have to do that. Eventually, I just agreed on walking me back about halfway. The smile stayed on my face the whole day, I bought a little cat chain as souvenir from the Café and also secretly hoping he'd bring me back someday again. I genuinely felt happy, and like I did something that I liked.

We just reached the place where he'd have to go. He stopped in his tracks, and I turned to face him. I gave him a bright and warm smile, pushing my head up a little to see him properly. "Thank you so much for today, I had lots of fun." My voice was a bit quiet, and a blush definitely joined me once again. Amajiki kept his eyes on mine, longer than we ever had, "I had fun as well.." his voice was quiet just like mine, but our eyes were connected.

It stayed for a few seconds, and Amajiki actually gave me a smile, a real warm and gentle smile. I could feel my face warm up like crazy in an instant and push my hands against my head, feeling super embarrassed. My cheeks felt super warm, and I knew I was as red as a tomato. I could hear Amajiki stuttering, "Are.. Are you okay??" His voice was so quiet, and I could hear the worry in words.

I shook my head back and forth and removed my hands quickly, but kept my eyes on the ground. "Yeah, I'm fine.." It was a bit quiet and still felt so super embarrassed. We've known each other for quite a while now, so why am I so embarrassed?

Suddenly, a hand was placed on my shoulder it was a small and gentle touch. We stayed like that for a bit till I managed to calm down more, I felt like a dumbass though. I sighed deeply and pushed my head up slowly. "Thanks." It was quiet for a bit before I gave him my smile again and pushed my hand up, "I'll see you tomorrow!"

Turning around, I was sure the blush just came right back because of thinking back about the whole day and that last part. I could bring that smile of his back in my memory and couldn't help but feel so happy. He has a really beautiful smile.