Chapter 23

"Let me start from the beginning." Sean said and I nodded.

"Before moving to Spring-dale I used to study at Riverbend Academy, London."

He pauses as I move into the room to sit on the chair and observes every motion of mine. I want to sit next to him on the bed but something tells me that wouldn't be a smart choice so I sit on the chair and look at him expectantly to continue and he does.

"Sofia and I, we both used to study there. She was in most of my classes and we used to spend as much time together as possible. She was my best friend before we became a couple." At this point I feel a twinge of guilt for making him say all this but I don't dare interrupt him.

"She was the prettiest girl in the entire school and every guy was madly in love with her but she chose me. She used to live with her dad as her mom had died giving birth to her. She was very attached to her dad and couldn't go a day without talking to him. I still remember how many times she called Mr. Vaugh when we had gone for a school trip." Sean's eyes look distant and I know he is reliving that moment. He shakes his head and looks at me, "Anyway, that's beside the point. What I am trying to tell here is that we were really close. So close that everyone thought we'd probably get married." Even though this pricks me I can understand. I suddenly miss Damon. We used to be close too.

"Her dad used to work at a pharmaceutical company. Maybe you've heard of it, Nimitz?" He looks at me with brows raised and I choke on my spit.

"Sofia's dad worked under my grandma?" I ask once I find my tongue.

"Grandma? I thought your dad owned the company?" The way he said it made it sound more like a question than a statement.

"No. My grandma used to own the company and after she died she left it in my name. My dad's just looking after it till I become of age." I look away embarrassed.

"Oh. This changes everything." Sean gets up and gets a drink out of the mini-fridge that was present in every room.

"Changes what?"

"Nothing." He replies as he chugs down the entire beer.

"Hey! Don't go getting drunk now. I need to know everything."

"Trust me, I know." He answers dejectedly and sits down back on the bed with a new drink in his hand. "I'll explain how that changes everything later, okay?" He asks and I nod.

"Anyhow, as far as we all knew your dad was in charge and he had a very bad name, no offense."

"None taken. Don't worry he isn't on anyone's best people list. At least not in my family."

"Oh. Okay. So he was a mean boss and everything but what nobody knew was exactly how terrible he was. Sofia's dad, Mr. Vaugh was a hard working and honest man. He was the CEO of the company at London and was next in line to take over the company as the Head. One day while going through the company finances he found out that there was some problem with them. He investigated further and realised that the current Head of the company was involved in a side business, an illegal one at that." After seeing my blank face he added, " Drug dealing and stuff."

I gasped at this and he just shook his head. "After making sure Mr. Vaugh did the only thing he could think of, he called your dad, Mr. Montgomery.

Now, Mr. Montgomery first congratulated him on being such an observant worker and then ordered him to let it slide."

"My dad was involved in this?!"

"I believe he is the brain behind all this." Sean gave me a sympathetic look.