Chapter 26

It was like all of a sudden my best friend and ex-nemesis had turned into full time detectives. They started making plans, interrogating people (without making it too obvious, of course) and even made a file of all the possible suspects.

Till now Allen, Mike, Pam and Diane were out of the list of suspects. They all had nothing hidden in their closets that concerned us. Mike was a little hard to clear considering his shining record. He had an all too clean record but after some deep consideration we decided to clear him too. When I say we I mean Caroline and Damon. Since the time Damon had found out about the ordeal he was hell bent on keeping me as away from all of it as possible. He even wanted to punch the living daylights out of Sean but Caroline explained to him how that would be a stupid move and how important it was for us to find out more.

Kevin was someone we couldn't decide on. It appeared like he had come out of nowhere and joined our school. No one knew anything about him or his past. This somehow made him our number one suspect which I was totally against.

Even if we did know nothing about Kevin he was a nice guy, a really nice one at that. But no matter how hard I tried to explain why I thought he wasn't a suspect Caroline always shot me down by commenting on my perception of people, or lack thereof. As she wasn't completely wrong Kevin ended up on the top of the list.

Reese could also be cleared but because of her closeness to the people involved in the situation, she ended up being the suspect number two.

"We have to ask them directly!" Caroline exclaimed, getting up from the floor of my room. We had turned my room into the detective office or whatever it is called since no one would ever come here and it was convenient too. My mom was really happy that everything had been sorted out between me and Damon but she seemed a little suspicious of our activities especially since she didn't believe me when I told her that Sean and I had broken up because of issues. 

"Are you out of your mind?!" Damon asked looking up from his place.

"No. It's the only way. We ask them out of the blue and read their reactions." 

"But what if both of them react the same way or both of them don't react at all? I am telling you, he or she knows everything." I replied.

"Aria has a point, Carr." 

"Carr?" I echoed and started giggling at the sight of a deeply flushed Caroline. 

"Shut up, Aria." Damon turned but not before I caught the reddening in his cheeks. 

"Aww. You guys are so cute together! What do you call him, Caroline?" I joked.

"It was by mistake, Aria, drop it and let's focus on the more important things here." Damon tried to sound angry but it was a futile attempt with the smile tugging at his lips.

"Okay I'll drop it. But for Carr's sake!" And I couldn't control myself anymore and started laughing so hard that I had to clutch my stomach. "Oh my God! I just got abs." I gasped.

"What?" Both of them asked together.

"You guys even talk in sync. It's so cute!" I gushed. "And what I meant was -" As I started explaining myself I saw their confused expressions and realised they wouldn't get it so I just said, "forget it."

"Anyway, we have run out of options so this is the only option left for us." Caroline spoke without looking at Damon.

I stifled my teasing when I suddenly had a thought. "There's another option left for us.I cannot believe we didn't think about this before. We were so stupid. It was the most obvious one. Of course it too can fail but we haven't exhausted it yet. It makes -"

"Aria! What is it?" Caroline shook me.

"We could simply call the number." 

There was silence for what seemed like a minute and a half after which Damon tackled me to the ground which considering I was sitting on the floor wasn't too hard. "Why hadn't we thought of this before?!"

"Damon!" I shrieked but even before I could move Caroline jumped on top of him which just knocked the breath out of me. "Can't breathe." I managed to choke out and then they moved.

"Don't ever do that again." I warned looking at Damon.

"Sorry." He grinned sheepishly.

"This is the benefit of having a nerd in the gang. Always thinks up the smart things." 

"Thank you, Caroline. Now move, let me get my phone." I got up from the floor, picked up my phone and paused, "What should I say if he or she picks up?"

"Put it on loudspeaker and we'll try to recognise the voice." Damon said and I nodded as I sat back down on the floor. 

The two of them huddled close to me as I pressed dial. The phone rang for a while and just as I thought no was going to answer, I heard a click and then a, "Hello?"

____________________________________________________________________

A/N: So sorry guys. I was suffering from a mental block and when I saw the 1.5k reads I just decided I had to write no matter how it was. Therefore, I am sorry it is very short and has mistakes in it. I swear it'll just get better from here on out. The mental block has been lifted and no more delays. It is just a kind of filler and the next chapter's going to be long.

And thank you so much for your support! Couldn't do it without you guys!

As always keep reading, voting, commenting and following!

Love,

anushaz