Chapter 27

"Hello? Hello?!" I heard the voice on the other side of the phone but was too stunned to respond.

Caroline carefully took the phone out of my hand and ended the call.

"Aria, are you alright?" She asked quietly and even though I wanted to nod or shake my head or do anything to respond, I couldn't. I felt numb. It was like my entire world had crumbled on me. In one single year everything, every single thing in my life had turned out to be a lie. There was nothing or nobody left in my life who hadn't turned out to be somebody other than what I thought except my mother. 

Suddenly I just wanted to be with her. She was the only stable person in my life who had been there for me and loved me since the beginning. 

"Guys I want to be alone for a while." I spoke with as much firmness as I could.

"Sure. But know that we are just a phone call away, okay?" Damon asked as he got up and helped Caroline to her feet.

"Mmm. Hmm." I mumbled not really paying attention to them as they stepped out of my room. Only after I heard the front door shut, I walked out of my room and headed to the basement where I knew I would find my mother.

I entered the basement and found her working on some new sculpture. She had her headphones on and was humming and moving to the music as she worked. Since I was a kid I always liked watching my mom work. In the basement she was someone else. Whenever she worked on a new project she would enter her own world. She looked peaceful and happy which was exactly what I loved.

"Aria?" My mom dropped her tools and started walking towards me. "What happened, dear? I didn't hear you enter." 

"I just wanted to be with you, mom." I said as I hugged her.

She stroked my hair for a while before pulling away. "What happened?"

"Life!" I replied the only way I could.

"Oh dear! Come here." She pulled me into another embrace and said, "Let's sit so that you can tell me everything, okay?"

I nodded my head and let her lead me out of the basement and into our living room.

"Now tell me."

"I love you mom."

"Aria. I love you too but I am guessing all this wasn't just because you had an overwhelming urge to confess your love for me, right?"

"But it is an important thing and I wanted you to know that I am sorry for all the times I fought with you and for not telling you everything honestly."

"So does this mean you are finally going to tell me the real reason for your break up?"

I nodded and took a deep breath before narrating all the events that had occurred in New York and before that.

"Oh my baby! You had to go through so much all alone. I must tell you that I never expected Sean to turn out like this."

I wiped my tears as I asked, "Do you think dad could have done it?"

"I don't know, Aria, but I know this much that your father is capable of a lot of things and not all of them good."

"How will I ever know then?"

"There's only one way to find out. You have to ask him." Before I could say anything she added, "I'll stay with you while you do that if you want."

"Yeah. I'd like that."

My mom brushed her hand through my hair as I lay my head on her lap and tried to not cry.

"Aria?"

"Yeah?"

"You found out who was texting you, didn't you?"

 "It was - It was -" I choked on the words as another bout of tears rocked my body.

"Shh. Shh." My mom rocked me back and forth as she used to when I was a kid and suddenly I felt protected. I felt loved and I knew I would find my way out of this I could and I would fight this.

"It was Reese, mom."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A/N: Yeah I know I promised it would be a BIG chapter but this was an important part where I wanted to show how Aria becomes stronger. The other version felt too bland so I had to modify it, which is why the update was delayed. Sorry guys. Hope you like it. 

As always, Keep reading, voting and commenting!

Love,

anushaz