Chapter 7

I woke up to the sound of my alarm, went mechanically to the bathroom and did my routine work of getting ready for school. It was only when I saw Damon's 11 missed calls did I remember everything. The first question in my head was 'How the hell was I going to reach school?'

 I didn't have my own car, my mom didn't exactly own a car as you couldn't call the truck she used to transport her art pieces really a car and the bus was too stupid an idea.

Then I thought I could call my neighbour and classmate Reese Gilbert and go with her at least for today. When I called her she was more than excited to drop me. Well yeah, Reese basically has very less friends or to tell you the truth no friends at all and she loves it whenever anyone talks to her.

I tried being friends with her what with me being her neighbour and same age but then at one point it became too much and then we just stopped talking. I don't know who stopped talking first but I'm pretty sure I was not sad.

And now I was asking her for help! I didn't want to feel like I was using her by playing with her feelings therefore, I made a mental note to somehow repay her and try to be a true friend this time.

As I walked out of my room I found my mom standing in front of me. She just smiled and opened her arms wide; that's it, before I knew it I was hugging her and crying terribly like a four year old. And she just kept on patting my back and saying soothing words like, "It's okay honey." And "It wasn't your fault."

I composed myself after a while and told her, "I gotta go." That's when she asked me how I was going to go to school. I told her my decision and she just shook her head.

I ran out of the front door because I thought Damon might come anytime and hopped into Reese's waiting car. She has a red Volkswagen Beetle that was gifted to her by her parents on her sixteenth birthday.

I knew she was going to ask me a lot of questions so I was preparing myself for them when she surprised me by saying "Don't worry. I won't ask."

I was shocked and she continued.

"Everyone might ask you questions but I won't because I know that you'll tell me if you want to. I won't force it out of you."

With a smile on her face she gave me an encouraging look, that's when I realized that she wasn't irritating at all and actually a nice person.

When we reached school she told me that I could ride back with her and could keep doing so till I wanted to. Before I could say thanks she said "You're welcome." and walked to her class.

It was like a whole new weird day when I had started seeing things for how they really were.

I saw Damon standing in front of my class and immediately rushed out of there before he could see me. I was hiding behind a locker watching Damon when a hand patted my back. As I turned I saw Sean smiling next to me.

"Hiding from your best friend? That's weird. Anyways the matter is between you two. Let's go to class?"

"Well. If you didn't notice, Damon's standing right there." Yeah we both had a lot of classes together. I looked at him hopefully.

"Hmm. So that's the problem. Well I am here now so no need to worry. Let's go together and you can act like you didn't see him." He replied winking.

"Okay, sounds good." I was still not so sure about it.

We started walking and right then Sean caught my hand in his and grasped it tightly. I looked at him and he said "Just follow my lead."

After that we had no problem in entering the class and I had no problem in ignoring Damon. Sean's hand was all I could think about. But I saw Damon retreating heartbroken and hurt. I felt a pang of pain course through me. And I wanted to reach out to him but I couldn't.

"Don't worry. He'll be fine." Sean smiled at me and though he meant it to be encouraging I couldn't help but feel guilty. I was the reason for Damon's pain and here I was being consoled. But I needed time before facing him. Every time I thought of him I felt I had been cheated. I wasn't thinking straight. I knew it was best for both of us to maintain distance for a while.

"Hello, you there?" Sean was shaking his hand in front of my face and grinning.

"Oh. Sorry. I tend to zone out. Anyways thanks for your help there."

We had taken our places by now and he had claimed the seat next to me. I was completely aware of him being next to me and he kept ruffling his hair like he couldn't get it to sit right but if you ask me, it was perfect the way it was. Shit! Concentrate Aria.

"The pleasure's all mine. And by the way anytime you need help for such things or anything I am the man for you."

"Thanks, I'll keep it in mind."

Caroline kept turning to look at us and I didn't miss the all too greedy eyes she set on Sean. I felt a strong desire to get up and smash her head on her desk with my heavy algebra book but controlled myself.

"Are you alright Aria? You look like you are just about to launch yourself at someone."

Sean pointed at my clenched hands and waved at Caroline this time when she turned, clearly aware of my discomfort. Aah now I have just made a fool of myself. What was I thinking? It's not like he likes me or something. And it's not even like I like him. Or do I? Well this is not important as of now.

I relax my hands and take few deep breaths. When it doesn't work I take pleasure in mental pictures of a mutated Caroline.

"Yeah I am completely fine. Would you like to go sit elsewhere Sean?"

I try to ask sweetly but it comes out real harsh.

"Whoa! Easy girl, easy. I was just being polite. The poor girl would have got a catch in her neck if she kept turning that fast."

Sean was holding both his hands up and looked really funny but one look at the bitch and my anger had returned.

"Well the poor girl has a name and it is bitch or Caroline whichever one you prefer, both mean the same thing. And for your information she is anything but 'a poor girl'." I drew quotes in the air to emphasize my point.

"Okay... I wonder what she did to get such a compliment from you. She seems like a pretty girl."

"Then why don't you go make yourself comfortable in the seat next to her? I am sure she'll be more than happy to make you comfortable. Oh and just so you know I don't mean by talking."

"Okay. I get the picture here. Chill. I was just kidding."

He looked at me like I was going to punch him or something. It was such a funny look that I giggled in spite of myself and he joined in. I laughed till tears rolled down my eyes and stopped only when Mr Saltzman started giving us threatening looks. But one look at Sean and I burst out laughing again.

"Would you two like to be excused?"

Shit! Mr. Saltzman was really angry.

"No sir. I am extremely sorry."

I elbowed Sean really hard and he faked a hurt look and then laughed again. But when he realized I really wanted him to be quiet, he shut up but only after saying "Remind me to never get on your wrong side beautiful."

He winked at me and went on to concentrate on what was being taught and I was just the opposite. I kept blushing and found it extremely hard to concentrate. Why does he have this effect on me? One word from him and I start blushing uncontrollably!  I need to join self control classes.