Chapter 25

Caroline's trick surprisingly worked. No one asked me anything or gave me a second look. Even Reese didn't find out. Once I got back in my room, I dressed as quickly as possible and was about to head out when Reese called out to me.

"Yeah?" I turned around to look at her unwillingly. Sure the makeup hid any traces of my unhappiness but that didn't mean I would keep smiling all day. I was barely holding myself together and I didn't want to end up crying.

"What happened yesterday? I mean, you didn't come back to the room and you weren't with Sean either."

"Um. Nothing. I just roamed around a bit and then I ran into Damon so we got to talking and we didn't realise how late it had become. I didn't want to disturb you so I slept in his room." Just as I finished my last sentence, it dawned on me how wrong that sounded so I said, "I mean just sleep. Nothing happened."

Reese burst out laughing and I didn't understand the reason behind it. When her laugh finally subsided she said," Oh my God, Aria! Of course I know you just slept. I know how you feel about Sean and about Damon."

I blushed and she just continued laughing at my discomfort.

"By the way, did you guys talk it out?"

"Damon and I? Yeah. Everything is fine now." I smiled at her and she smiled back.

"That's great but I didn't mean Damon. I meant Sean. The thing you wanted to talk about?"

My face dropped at this and the tears were threatening to spill out of my eyes. I finally managed to choke out a "I'll talk to you later." and stepped out of the room. In the elevator I calmed myself down and forbid myself from thinking about anything related to yesterday.

Luckily for me I found Damon waiting for me in the lobby and Sean was nowhere in sight.

"Hey. Let's go?" He smiled down at me once I reached him and all I could do was nod. I had a feeling of Déjà vu but refused to go back there.

I had somehow miraculously avoided seeing Sean till the entire bus ride but when we had all gotten down and Damon had excused himself to use the restroom, I saw Sean walking up to me. He looked terrible. His hair was even more unkempt that usual, his clothes were wrinkled and his eyes, his eyes were what caught me the most off guard, they were hollow. Like of someone who hasn't seen light in days. Seeing him like that broke my heart but I couldn't understand why he was so heartbroken, why he was looking like a reflection of me when he got exactly what he wanted. He wanted revenge and in a way he did get it. Maybe not to the extent he was expecting but he did break me. Is that why he was sad? Because he couldn't get his revenge?

No. I refused to think even he would stoop to this level. All I knew about him was lies, lies that he fed me for his plan but a person's eyes never lie and I could've sworn he was a caring person. He cared for Sofia and it was visible in his eyes when he spoke of her.

"Hey." Sean was standing right in front of me now and I was frozen. I didn't know what to say or how to react. The only thing I wanted to do was disappear but it wasn't like that wish would be granted anytime soon so I did the only thing I could, I replied, "Hi."

"How are you?"

"What do you want, Sean?" I asked tired of beating around the bush with small talk. The faster this ended, the better.

"You." He replied and that one word did what I had sworn I wouldn't let myself feel. It gave me hope.

"What are you doing here?!" Caroline asked from behind me.

"I just-"He started and even before he could utter another word, Caroline cut him off, "You need to leave her alone, Sean! I don't know what the fuck happened between you two but you guys need time and space. Now's not a good time. Goodbye, Sean. Come, Aria." And with that she pulled me away from a surprised Sean. I was really grateful for her intervention because I was sure I wouldn't have had it in me to move away from him.