Chapter 29

"Calm down. It'll be fine. You don't have to see or talk to him." Reese said as she hugged me. I nodded but couldn't stop being nervous.

Today was the big day. The finals match everyone had been waiting for. Spring-dale versus The Malloys. Our biggest rivals.

As expected Sean was the star quarterback of our team and everybody's hope was riding on him. Being on the field cheering for him wasn't an easy thing to do. I even tried asking Caroline to allow me to sit this one match out but she was ruthless and really strict when it came to cheerleading. She took her job as cheercaptain very seriously. So here I was standing on the field, palms sweating, about to cheer for the one person I didn't want anything to do with.

The football team was discussing their strategy with Coach while we were on the other side of the field getting ready for our formations. Caroline was shouting at everyone. She was really nervous. This after all was the only game everyone had been looking forward to. The entire stadium was filled. I had never seen so many people at one place before.

Sean looked my way and I hastily turned my head. If I wanted to survive the game, I had to avoid looking at him. He looked better. His body looked really good. The tight jersey accentuated his shoulder and biceps. It was distracting.

I was disappointed with myself for still being affected so much. I had to get over it.

"Okay girls. This is it. It's do or die. Okay? We can do it!" Caroline shouted and everyone nodded.

On her count we all ran forward and took our positions. The cheering of the crowd was all I could hear. Their thundering claps and shouts were all reverberating through my body. Once done the guy dressed up as the school mascot and Caroline held up our school poster for the team to tear through.

"Aria." I turned around and found myself face to face with Sean. "I need to talk to you. Please." He begged.

"There's nothing to talk about, Sean." I walked away and heard the hoots as the team continued running onward tearing through the poster that had taken an hour to make. Stupid tradition.

At halftime I was talking to Musa, another cheerleader, when Allen came up to me.

"Aria -"

"Don't, Allen. I don't want to talk to him." I cut him off.

"Look -" He started and then turned his eyes to where Musa was standing. She excused herself and left me with Allen. "Look. I know you guys have your issues and something really shitty must have happened between you two to break you guys apart but at least hear him out. You owe him that much."

"I don't owe him anything!" I was outraged they thought I owed Sean anything!

"Sorry. I didn't mean to offend you."

"It's okay. There's nothing he can say now that'll change anything. So there's no point in talking."

"Since you say there's nothing he can do or say to change your mind, you can just hear him out once right? You don't have to talk. Just give him ten minutes." Allen said.

I thought about what he said and even though I knew I shouldn't agree to it I ended up nodding.

"You'll not regret this." Allen smiled and went back to his team mates.

"Why was he here?" Damon asked walking towards me with Caroline.

"It was nothing. Don't bother yourself with it." I shrugged it off. It didn't seem like a good idea to let him on it. I knew first hand how judgemental he could get when it came to Sean. Caroline gave me a weird look but it went as fast as it had come.