Chapter 12

The entire morning I spent on trying to decide the perfect outfit for this special occasion. What if his parents don't like me? What if I do something wrong? 

Stop it Aria!  You are just scaring yourself. I scolded myself. 

In the afternoon after getting kicked out of my house by my mom for being very annoying I went to the mall to pass my time.

I was roaming there for an hour or so when I saw them or to be precise they saw me. Damon and Caroline. 

"Hey Aria." Damon waved and I found myself waving back.

He came towards me and I instinctively glanced at Caroline. He saw my gaze and said something to her which I couldn't really catch. She just nodded and walked out but not before giving me a death glare.

"What's up?" He came up to me now.

"Since when did you start roaming with Caroline? I thought you didn't like her."

I myself could hear the coldness in my voice but I couldn't help it.

He looked down at his feet and then looked up and said, "I could ask you the same thing Aria. How come you are with Sean all the time?"

He had hurt in his eyes and I felt bad but this was not the time to hold back. 

"It's not the same Damon. We like each other."

As I spoke the last sentence I saw his eyes turn glassy but then he looked at me coldly and said, "When did that happen? Two weeks ago, when he arrived or when he started flirting with you? Don't think I didn't notice anything Aria. I am not blind. If you don't like me the way I do it's okay but that doesn't mean you go running to the very first guy who shows an interest in you! I still am your friend and I do care about you!"

"What? How could you even say that to me Damon?! I thought you knew me but I guess I was wrong. If you knew me then you would know that I would never ever do something like that. I am with him because I like him. Not because of some evil cunning plan that you think we two have cooked up."

We were attracting the crowd by now because of our loud voices and I was aware of their eyes on me but I didn't care. The rage was too much. How could he accuse me of something like that!

"Aria let's go somewhere else. We are attracting a lot of attention. Come on."

And for the first time after the day in his house I let Damon pull me along.

We reached his car and he opened the door for me. When I was seated he started the car and took us to the highway. Near one of the crossroads he stopped and turned towards me. By now I had had enough time to cool down and I had started panicking. What was I supposed to tell him now? I hadn't even thought about it yet.

"I am sorry."

I looked at him and surprised to see him like that. He looked defeated. Damon, Damon Wains, who never gives up and always fights to get what he wants looked defeated. It hurt me to see him like that and it immediately broke me.

"No Damon. I am sorry. I really am." I was starting to cry now.

He raised a hand to comfort me but stopped mid-way unsure of what he should do. He dropped his hand and said, "Why are you sorry Aria? It was all my fault."

I stared at him through my tear-filled eyes and shook my head.

"No Damon. I should have known. I should have made it clear to you and I should have never run away like that. I should have at least given you a chance to explain. I shouldn't have blocked you out."