Chapter 6

It isn't like I haven't been to Damon's house or anything but I hadn't been there in years now. Last I could remember was in 6th grade when he was sick with chicken pox and I had gone to visit him, not realizing that it spreads. The very next day I was in bed with chicken pox.

Anyways, it looked a lot different since then. When we reached, Damon came to my side to open the door for me. That was just plain weird. We went inside and I saw that his house was actually different from before. It looked really pretty with all the new decorations. The corridor was lit with incense candles. 

I walked inside the house trying to grasp all of it at one go, when from behind me Damon said, "How is it? Do you like it?"

I jumped because of his sudden voice but then calmed down to reply.

"It's.. It's beautiful. I love it."

He suddenly seemed a lot more happier.

We moved through the house slowly with me gaping at everything with my mouth wide open. At least I didn't drool. The fine wooden flooring and the intricate designs in the wall were all mesmerizing. And to top it all the house was filled with the most beautiful pieces of furniture's. It was art. 

"I can't understand how you say that you feel locked up in this place! It is the most beautiful place I have ever seen." I turned around to see him leaning against the wall and staring at me.

"I don't know. I guess I can't see the house in the way you do." He was still staring.

"Okay. So what do we do? Do you want any help in studies?"

I had to change the subject.

"No! Can't I call you to my house without having any difficulty in studies?"

"Nothing like that. Sure you can. It's just that you never do. Anyways what do we do now?"

"Hmm. Let me see. Why don't we just go to the sitting room while I fix something for you?" He gave me his hand and I took it,

"Sure." I said as we walked to the sitting room.

I had been sitting for not more than five minutes when the lights went out. I sat there for a moment to understand what was happening. It's not at all common for these kinds of things to happen and I took deep breaths to calm myself down. It wasn't like some stranger would just come inside. Right? Well I had to stop freaking myself out.

"Damon? Where are you?" I squeaked, trying really hard not to panic.

Just then I heard music and recognized it as our song; Damon's and mine. A song that we had composed when we were kids and wanted to become singers. The lights came on and I could see Damon playing his guitar. I laughed and started singing the song that I remembered all too well.

".......And when you need me darling,

I'll be there, I'll be there, I'll be there."

"God! It has been so long since we sang this song!" I was really happy because it was my favorite.

Damon came toward me, kept the guitar down and took both my hands in his. He stared into my eyes for a while before saying, "You look beautiful when you are happy. I want to see you happy always. There is nothing more that I want in this life. Aria, I still remember how happy you were when we had finished composing this song. I have played it everyday since then."

He paused to look at my hands. I wanted to say something, anything but I was frozen. He looked into my eyes again.

"I have longed for this moment. I have longed to hold your hands in mine and tell you what you mean to me. To tell you how much you mean to me."

"Damon....." He hushed me even before I could utter a word.

"Not today Aria. Let me finish." 

He gently pulled me and took me to his room. When we reached the door, he nodded towards it. I opened the door silently and stepped inside carefully afraid to make any noise. I stopped right in my tracks when I saw the picture; a life-sized portrait of us two hung over his bed. I turned my neck and saw that he had a shelf filled with out photos and some other things that I couldn't see clearly.

When I went near, Damon whispered in my ear, "Everything you ever gave me. Even the shell that you thought had a pearl in it." And surprisingly it was true. He even had those stupid action figures  you get for free that I had given him.I turned around to see him watching me.

"Aria Montgomery, you are the sole reason for my happiness. I have always loved you, I love you and will always continue to love you. 

I loved you even when you cried because you didn't find a pearl and when you fought with me over the naming of a stupid teddy bear."

He smiled and looked at me. I tried to smile but I was still in shock. It was too much to take in at one go for me. He walked towards me and held my hands again.

"I love this. The feeling of your hands in mine. I don't know what you might say but to tell you the truth, I can't stay without you."

He leaned forward till we were just inches apart, bent his head till our forehead's met and then without warning pressed his lips against mine. I was too shocked to respond. He then whispered "I love you." right in my ear.

That was it. I snapped right out of my frozen stature and ran from there. I opened the door and ran out of the house. I ran and ran and ran till I couldn't run anymore and had to stop to catch my breath. I sat down on the footpath and started crying.

Only after a while did I realize that I was barely two blocks away from my house. I walked slowly to give myself time to compose myself but not too slow as I was afraid of Damon catching up  with me.

Then when I thought I was almost normal, appearance-wise at least, I opened the door of my house and walked hurriedly towards the stairs but I wasn't fast enough.

"You are back? How come so early? Is something wrong Aria?" She asked the last question after seeing my face and I knew I couldn't handle it anymore.

I just ran up the stairs, locked my room and started crying again. I was shocked at myself for crying so much but I couldn't stop the tears every time I thought about Damon. I couldn't think straight. I couldn't even try to understand.

Mom came and knocked at the door few times trying to make me tell her what had happened but when she realized it was of no use she resigned.

Damon called a few times but I couldn't answer. I didn't know what had happened and why. All I knew was that I needed time, to think and to understand.

I dozed off still crying.

_________________________________________________________

A/N: Guys this a really important part of the story. Please do tell me what you think of it. Hope you like it!