Chapter 4

I had eaten and was lying on my bed. I could hear my mother’s excited voice calling all her friends and telling them how I got selected as a cheer-leader. At least someone is happy about it. Just then my phone vibrates and I have a text.

Damon: You know you should really be happy. It’s a great achievement.

Me: Yeah I know it’s a great achievement and all but don’t you think I should be interested in it to be happy?

Damon: Obviously. But I don’t understand why you aren’t. Maybe you’ll be happy after a little while. :)

How I wish he was right but I couldn’t bring myself to say this to him. It would definitely lead to us fighting again and I wasn’t sure I was in the mood for it so I end up typing a neutral message.

Me: Hope so.

I was just feeling dejected thinking of how my day had turned out to be, one disappointment after another, when my phone vibrated to show that the conversation hadn’t ended yet.

Damon: Hey, what are you doing tomorrow evening?

Me: Tomorrow is Friday right? Well I guess nothing.

Damon: Great! Wanna come over to my place?

I was shocked. I mean, I have been to his place and all but never like this. He is always trying to get me out of his house as he doesn’t like his parents that much.

Me: Um.. What about your parents?

Damon: They are going out. So, is it a yes or no?

Okay. It was getting really weird but I couldn’t really find an excuse so I ended up saying yes.

Damon: Great! I’ll pick you up at 7. Good night.

Me: Good night.

“Wake up! Or else you’ll be late for school.” My mom was shouting.

Shit! I had just slept off thinking about how weird Damon was acting and all. I saw the clock and it said 7 am. I was so late. I ran to the bathroom, got ready and was just pouring breakfast when I heard the honking. I ate in a hurry, bid my mom goodbye and just before going told her “Hey mom. Don’t make any plans for today I am going over to Damon’s.”

“Oh! So he’s finally asked you out huh? That’s nice. I was starting to wonder when the day would come.”

She was grinning and me? I was standing at the door stunned. What did she just say!

“Don’t act so shocked. You know what I mean very well.”

“No mom I don’t. And no, don’t even try to explain. Listen, we both are friends and that’s it. That’s all we’ll ever be!”

I was really angry now.

“Okay okay. It’ll happen soon though. Then you’ll see. Anyways go. See you!”

She literally pushed me out and slammed the door shut.

I was just thinking about what she said, I mean, how could she even say that! It sucks enough that Damon is acting weird and now my mom too has to start acting weird. What’s wrong with the world! And I don’t even realize I have reached the car or the fact that Damon has been staring at me the entire time. It’s only when I sit in the car and turn to him that I see him looking at me.