Chapter 18: Worth It.

maybe i can get this chapter done in the same night too >:D

(i could not btw)

————————————————————————
Hunter's POV:

I woke up feeling better than usual, and decided to just slip on my binder and a t-shirt so I could ask Luz to borrow a baggy hoodie instead of my binder. I obviously didn't mention the binder part, but she let me borrow a dark red hoodie with a white cat on it being smushed by an anvil. I began to question her choices of clothing.

I wore that and some sweatpants (she also let me borrow), and that's why Ms. Noceda decided to go clothes shopping that day. We didn't wear anything to cover our ears, but not too many people asked about it. They just gave us weird looks. She let us buy pretty much anything we wanted, and I got a lot of baggy clothes, so I wouldn't have to wear my binder as much.

When we came back from the clothing store, we basically just tried on clothes, and found things that look good together for the rest of the day. I spoke to Luz most of the time, got more comfortable with her, and tried to get used to the human realm. I started learning about a mystical human realm creature called a wolf, which I immediately became hyperfixated on.

A couple more nights passed, and we still practically did nothing. That was, until Luz convinced her mom into letting us go to a "theme park", whatever that is. I was skeptical, but the others really wanted to go. We had to sit in Ms. Noceda's weird metal box for an hour, but I think it was worth it in the end. We arrived at the park, and very much to my surprise, Ms. Noceda dropped us off. She said she'd come back to pick us up at seven, or if someone wanted to go home early for Luz or Vee to text her.

I was wearing a faded yellow hoodie, which was made out of a thin material so it wouldn't be hot, and it was cut slightly shorter than it originally was. Luz called it a crop top, but I don't think it was short enough to be one. With it I wore black ripped jeans, and a small black leather bag. I had sewn a few patches onto the pants, but they just kept ripping more. In the bag I had headphones, one of Luz' old phones (that I still didn't know how to use), a hoodie I managed to fit in case I got cold, and a book Luz got me hooked on. For shoes I wore black and white checkered "Vans".

Willow was wearing a white and black t-shirt with a band on it called "AC/DC", and baggy green shorts. She had on black Vans with sunflowers on them as well. Gus wore a navy blue t-shirt with swirls on it made using bleach, blue jeans, and black tennis shoes. Luz was wearing a red beanie, grey sweatpants, light blue converse, and a blue shirt with facts about sharks on the back of it. I like that shirt. Amity wore matching light blue converse, fishnets she put under ripped black jeans, and a thin hoodie of Luz's with the word "Lovejoy" on the front, and some sort of weird cat on the back which I assumed was the logo for "Lovejoy". Vee had found a human form she likes, and chose that. She had on a yellow and blue sweater, and baggy beige "cargo pants". Human clothes have weird names.

I guess I am sixteen, and Gus being the youngest, is still only twelve. So as long as we stuck together, we would be fine. But of course, as usual the joke's on me because they decided to split up. I froze. I can't be alone, not again. I can't lose the only people who actually care for me. I started to panic, until I felt a hand on my shoulder. I jumped back, only to see Willow. "Want me to stick with you?" Oh, thank Titan. I uttered a "Yes, please." and nodded my head slowly, my ears pinning down as I did so.

Willow held back a laugh, grabbing me by the hand and immediately pulling me towards the tallest ride at the park, "The Titan". I looked up at it, and I could tell that I had already flown higher than that tons of times. "Alright, let's go." I said, allowing Willow to pull me into the painfully long line. We had to stand in line for over an hour, but eventually we got into a metal cart at the very front, and were locked in by a bar that clamped over our bodies. "What the fuck is this?" I pulled at the bar as the ride started moving.

Willow laughed at my attempts, and I glared at her. "Have you never been on a roller coaster before?" I hesitated, before looking down at the ground and speaking in a voice just barely audible over the loud clicks as the coaster went up. "No." She smiled. "It's okay, you want to hold my hand? It can get scary." I shook my head, instead looking out over the park. The entire park was visible from the top of this ride, the sounds of screams and laughter in the distance almost completely taken over by the loud clicks as the cart continued to go higher.

The ride slowed down, nearing the edge of the drop, when I heard a very familiar voice screaming at the top of her lungs. "HUNTERR!!" I could just barely hear her, but looked down to see Luz below us waving her arms in the air and jumping up and down. Right before I got the chance to flip her off though, the ride dropped.

I then found myself screaming more high-pitched than I thought was even possible, and squishing myself as far down into the bottom of the cart as I could go. I could hear Willow yelling something to me, but I couldn't tell what she was saying. The ride then proceeded to go BACK up, then back down again, followed by a loop-de-loop, and a corkscrew. I am never going on a roller coaster again.

When we got off, Luz was still laughing her ass off. I would've punched her if I didn't feel so nauseated, but it was probably for the best that I didn't. Next, Willow led me to a ride called "Twister", which just spun you around so hard that if you're sitting next to someone you'll both be unconscious by the end of the ride because it knocked you around so violently.

We went on a few more.. docile rides before everyone met up at a food stand, where Luz and Vee bought us all food with money that Ms. Noceda had lended them. I got a hotdog with ketchup, which was surprisingly good for theme park food. Not long afterwards, Ms. Noceda picked us up.

"Thank you Ms. Noceda." I smiled, thanking her for the hundredth time. She turned around as I got into the back seat. "No need to thank me. And like I've said many many times before, call me Camila." It felt strange to finally have some sort of mother figure. My ears went down a bit, and a gave a small toothy smile. "Sorry, Camila."

1249 words

yay another 1k+ chapter! i love writing these :D

anywayyyyyy once again, have a good day/night/whateverfuckintimeofdayidfk 💪💪