Chapter 28: More Pool Shenanigans

hey guysss i just came back from universal so i knew i had to post and give you guys a lil update on my life :D

———————————————————————
Willow's POV:

Hunter was acting weird the entire ride back to Camila's house. He was really red in the face, and barely talked to me at all. I started to wonder if he was getting sick. When we got in the house, I grabbed his arm and pulled him to the side, a worried expression making it's way across my face. He shrunk back, pulling his arm to his chest. "Sorry." I said, not meaning to hurt or scare him. I pressed a hand to his forehead, which was unusually warm. "Are you okay, Hunter? It feels like you have a fever. Do you think you're getting sick?" He quickly pushed my hand away, though, and turned a slightly deeper shade of red. I worried for him still, but trusted his judgment when he shook his head. "Alright. You sure?" He nodded, giving a smile which seemed forced, but I walked away to give him his space.

I went back to mine, Luz, Vee, and Amity's shared room, and set my book about human world plant life next to my sleeping bag. I sat down on the sleeping bag, and sighed. Amity walked in afterwards, smiling at me. "Hey, you okay?" She said, sitting down on her makeshift bed, and setting her books down next to her. I nodded, thought about it for a bit, then shook my head. "It's just- things between me and Hunter are really weird all of a sudden." I sighed, looking back towards Amity. She blinked in confusion, leaning back onto the side of Luz's bed. "Well yeah, things were awkward between me and Luz when we first started dating." She blushed. "What-... ME AND HUNTER AREN'T DATING!!" My entire body tensed, and I know I was flustered. Amity just looked over at me and shrugged. "I thought you were." I made a face at her that said 'what the fuck is that supposed to mean??', and left to go back into the living room.

When I came into the living room, I saw Hunter typing something on his human phone. Camila and Luz were sitting on the couch across from him. "Hey, I was thinking we could go to the pool for a while and have fun. You know- since we'll be going to school in a few days." Hunter spoke, looking up from his phone. "Ooo, that sounds fun!" I agreed quite excitedly, looking over to Camila. Luz was by her side, begging on her knees. "POR FAVOR MAMA??" She cried out, starting to fake cry. Camila looked over at her and laughed. "Sure, mija. Go tell everyone to get ready and put on their swimsuits, you're lucky it's 75 out today." In response, Luz lunged from her seat and ran through the house screaming again. I sighed, forced back a laugh, and went to go change.

I changed into a one piece yellow swimsuit, the bottom of the swimsuit traveling farther down my legs, looking more like shorts. It had a cute pattern of small pink hearts, which dotted across the entire suit. Luz and amity once again wore their matching swimsuits, being purple with black stripes running down the sides and at the ends of the short frilly sleeves. Hunter wore dark blue shorts and a red long sleeve t-shirt, while Gus just wore black shorts. Luz yelled barbarically and ran towards the front door, all of us following. Camila only sighed, pinching the bridge of her nose as we all piled into the car. She grabbed the pool bag (the bag with our towels, sunscreen, drinks, and goggles), put on her sunglasses, and hopped in the car.

Vee sat in the passenger seat, Luz and Amity in the very back, and me, Gus, and Hunter in the middle. Gus sat in between me and Hunter, me on the right side, Hunter on the left. Besides Luz and Amity whispering to each other in the back, (gay mfs 😒) the car ride was mostly silent. When we got there, the pool was less crowded than last time, most likely because everyone was doing back to school shopping. There was only five people there, a group of three boys, and two little girls playing mermaids. The two little girls looked to be Latina, and were speaking Spanish to each other, while two of the three boys were dark skinned, the other a tan white. The tan boy had freckles dotted all across his face, curly brown hair, and was wearing black swim shorts. One of the black boys had an afro, which was getting in his eyes, and wore a short sleeve blue t-shirt with blue shorts. The other had a fade, and wore light blue shorts with pineapples on them. The three of them were tossing around a beachball, until the boy with the afro (who was quite tall) held it above his head laughing. They looked to all be around Hunter's age, which would make them sophomores or juniors.