Chapter 23: Can't Be Good

fluff :3

————————————————————————
Willow's POV:

"What can't be good?" I asked Hunter as I came around the corner, causing him to jump. "Sorry- I didn't mean to scare you!" I giggled, Hunter putting a hand to his chest in relief as he turned around to face me. "That thing that Flap was so worried about is stuck on his foot, but he won't let me touch it, which means I can't clean it off." Hunter looked worriedly down at Flapjack, who rested on his finger holing one foot out.

"Aww, poor little guy." I reached out to touch it, but he recoiled with an alarmed chirp. "Sorry! Sorry." I apologized with a smile, and in return he flapped up onto my shoulder, nuzzling into my neck. I smiled softly, scratching his head with one finger. Luz walked into the room soon after, grimacing with a furrowed brow. "Is something wrong?" Hunter perked up, taking a step forward, but staying in place instead. Luz groaned, collapsing onto the ground dramatically. "I have school next week."

Me and Hunter looked at each other, a surprised look on both of our faces. "And why didn't you tell us this beforehand?" Hunter asked, a hand placed on his hip. Luz stood back up, rolled her eyes, and sighed. "Mama has been so busy lately that she forgot I have to go back to school." Hunter made a face, and earned an elbow in the arm. He glanced at me for a second before looking back to Luz. "You have to go back to school?" He echoed, cocking his head to the side.

Luz nodded. "Unfortunately. And because I told everyone about how badly I was bullied, no one wants to come to school with me." She paused. "I will!" Me and Hunter ended up saying in unison, then turning our heads to face each other. "I was her first friend in the demon realm." I immediately argued. "I'm practically her brother." Hunter replied. I squinted my eyes, glaring at the blonde standing across from me. "I helped her get into Hexside."

...

"Illegally." He retorted.

Luz quickly interrupted, keeping us from throwing insults at each other. "You do know you can both come to school with me, right?" The silence fell heavy, but was quickly broken when Amity ran upstairs. "I know I didn't want to go to human school at first, but as your girlfriend, it is a must." Luz smiled sweetly as Amity spoke, and gave her a long kiss on the cheek. I giggled when Hunter pretended to gag.

"Awww sweet potato! That's so.. Sweet!" Luz giggled, doing a goofy little stim dance. "I hope we get classes together!- Wait I have to get you guys in first... MAMA!!"

————————————————————————

A few days later, Camila got the email telling her that we were accepted into Gravesfield High. "Are you sure you don't wanna come, Gus?" I turned to Gus, who frowned. "Yeah, I won't be in high school here because I'm only twelve." Hunter placed a hand on his shoulder reassuringly. "It's alright, you'll be able to study the human realm and do fun stuff with Vee." He smiled, lips parting slightly to show his tooth gap. I felt my cheeks heat slightly as I looked over his features. His hair is starting to grow out again. I thought, before I caught myself staring.

I looked away in embarrassment, but he wasn't paying enough attention to me to notice. I cleared my throat, and brought up another topic so Luz would stop smirking at me. "Why don't we all do something fun tomorrow? After all, we've only got three days until school starts!" Pretty much everyone smiled and looked around at each other to make sure they wanted to do something fun as well, and I noticed Hunter giggled slightly. "What's got you so giggly, golden boy?" I remarked, which caught him off guard.

He stared blankly at me for a second, before his face went red and he looked away. I blushed slightly, realizing that I might have embarrassed him in front of everyone. "Sorry, I didn't mean to embarrass you or anything!" I walked up to him as everyone began piling out of Camila's room. "And you can totally be mad at me if you want, but I meant 'golden boy' as in- you know, you're blonde. But if you don't want me to call you that because it reminds you of the Golden Guard, then I get it-" I stopped when I realized I was rambling, and turned to see Hunter staring at me. I was about to say something, but he cut me off.

"Sorry for staring," He looked down at his feet while we walked. "and the 'golden boy' thing is fine, but.. Not many people have ever apologized to me. Belos, Kikimora, and most of the coven heads never did. Darius doesn't really apologize much, and Raine says it so much when they're nervous, that it doesn't feel sincere anymore. But when you said sorry about the nickname, it caught me off guard I guess." We stopped as we realized we were already standing at the basement door.

Hunter fidgeted with his fingers a bit, before opening the door. "Uhh, we can keep talking if you'd like." He forced his face into a sheepish smile, causing me to giggle. I ushered him to follow as I walked down the creaky basement stairs. When I got to the bottom, I heard a quiet chirp, and saw Flapjack sleeping peacefully on Hunter's pillow. I said a quiet "Aww", and looked over to Hunter, who now stood next to me smiling at the small red bird.

We sat down on the couch as to not disturb Flapjack, and began chatting about anything and everything we could think of. Just talking. Not specifically about something, just getting to know each other more.

979 words

sorry for the shorter chapter, but this was literally the perfect ending for it 😭

i love huntlow sm <33