Three

Hayden

The doorbell rang, and my husky, Dakota, started to bark loudly. I ran to the door, just to see my beautiful Natalie standing outside. She stepped over the threshold and hugged me. I wrapped my arms around her.

Her hair was curled, and it was pinned up loosely with several strands hanging down. She wore a short dress, which was patterned with flowers and came down into a short v-neck. Thin straps wrapped around her shoulders. I felt bad, because all I was wearing was athletic shorts and a t-shirt.

We pulled back to look at each other, and Dakota growled behind me. I turned to her and looked her in the eye, and she put her ears back and sat down, looking up at me.

"Listen, Kota. This is my girlfriend, Natalie. I swear she's the most beautiful, kindest girl in the entire world, so you'll love her. Okay?"

The whole time, Kota had her head cocked to the side.

"She's adorable," Natalie said from behind me. "How old is she?"

I turned back to her. "About a year or so. She's still a puppy. She's big for her age, isn't she?"

Natalie nodded, a concerned look on her face.

"It's not bad," I added.

"I don't know, Christensen. Are you feeding her too much?"

"Natalie. Of course not. She's not fat!"

We looked at each other for a minute.

"Okay, well, let's get this started," I said, leading her to the kitchen.

"You have a huge home!" Natalie exclaimed. "I love the style."

"Thank you."

Dakota followed us into the dining room, which I had set a table for two and dinner. Yes, I can cook.

"Hayden!" Natalie covered her mouth with her hands and laughed. "This is amazing!" She turned to me. "You can cook?"

"Yes, is that surprising to you? A man can cook without getting recognition."

"I just didn't-"

"What do you think I eat, then? Chinese takeout every night? Nope. I cook for myself."

"That's great."

"Are you saying that...when we get married you won't have to cook?"

"When we get married? You mean if?"

My face grew hot and I cleared my throat. "Yes, if." Why did I say that?

Natalie looked out to the pool in the back. "That pool could hold hundreds of people."

I smiled a little as I filled her plate. "Hundreds?"

"That must hold several tons of water."

"It's just for you and me tonight."

I saw her smile. "Do you want me to help you?"

"No, I got it." I walked over to the table and put our plates and wine glasses down. "I hope you like it."

"I know I will."

I invited her to sit, and we dug into our food. She said she loved it, and slowly but surely, she ate everything.

We sipped on our wine as we looked out at the pool and talked.

"How do you like it here? Are you lonely?" Natalie asked quietly.