Fifty Three

Hayden

Later that night, after I had come back from the photoshoot, I woke up suddenly, rolling over to see Temple at my side, tapping my shoulder over and over.

I grunted and wiped the edge of my mouth with the back of my hand, meeting eyes with Temple. I could just make out the gleam in her eyes from the moonlight shining through the windows.

"What is it, Temple?" I mumbled, trying to keep quiet so Natalie wouldn't wake up. I knew it was a slim chance I could keep her asleep, though.

She looked at me, concern in her eyes, and tried to climb up in bed with us, over my legs.

"No, no, no, no," I whispered as I eased her back off of the bed. "Why are you awake?"

"I... well, you said the baby might come tonight," she replied innocently. "I was just waiting."

I shook my head. "Temple, I didn't say tonight. I said soon. Go back to sleep, babe."

She didn't say anything, just stared at me, her eyebrows turned up with worry.

"Do you want me to go with you and tuck you back in?"

Temple nodded, and I threw the sheets back off of me, climbing out of bed. I took her hand and led her back to her room, tucking her back in.

"Are you good?" I asked her.

She nodded again, and pursed her lips, reaching her arms up for a hug.

I leaned down and kissed her, her arms around my neck. She let go after that, and I stood up, walking towards the door.

"Goodnight, Daddy."

"Night, Temple. See you in the morning."

"Wait, Daddy?"

"Yeah?"

"Can you sleep in here with me tonight? I'm scared."

I paused, slumping. Not this again. Natalie and I had already gotten her out of that phase, and we definitely didn't want to get back into it.

"Temple..."

"But I'm scared, Daddy! The monsters won't leave unless you stay in here with me. They leave when you come 'cause you're big and scary to them."

I sighed, shaking my head. "But I have to stay in bed with Mommy incase she needs me."

"But I need you!" Temple whined.

I hesitated, glancing out into the hallway just to find silence. Natalie would get me if she needed me. And this... this was just one night. It wouldn't hurt.

At least I didn't think.

So I caved in.

"Fine, Temple, I'll sleep in here with you and protect you from the monsters." I took a pillow from her closet and laid on the floor, beside her bed. "But you know there really are no monsters, Temple. You just think that."

She didn't reply, just reached over and pecked a kiss to my head. "Night, night, Daddy. Don't let the monsters bite." She turned over and wrapped up in her blanket, swaddled in it like a baby.

I smiled to myself and shook my head again. Soon this stage would be over.

Even though I told myself once she fell asleep I would go back to sleep in my bed, I ended up falling asleep in her room on the floor, waking up in the same spot in the morning, with Natalie asking me why I was there.

I replied, "I don't know. I was protecting Temple from the monsters in her closet."

And Temple just laughed.