Fifty Six

Hayden

I sat outside Natalie's room that afternoon, tapping my foot anxiously. They wouldn't let me in right now because she was in the middle of getting anesthesia and preparation.

Oh, what did I even want? A boy or a girl? I had no idea.

I looked over at Sawyer and Temple, who Tove brought over straight after I got there and were playing with my iPad. I already had both, so... what wasn't to lose?

Girl.

No, It'd be nice to have another boy. Another hockey player. Wait a second... who says a girl can't play hockey?

Girl.

Boy.

Girl?

Boy...

Either was fine, I guessed. I'd just have to wait and see.

I sat on the edge of the bench, my heart beating fast. I just wanted to go in there. Natalie probably didn't even know I was here.

"Ha - ha, Daddy! Look at you!" Sawyer said, turning my iPad around so I could see it. An old episode of the kids' show 'Goosebumps' was playing, one of the ones I was in.

I laughed a little. "Yep."

"Wait a second," Tove said slowly, turning the iPad towards him. He let out a laugh, clapping his hands together slowly. "That's my brother for you. Little hotshot." He laughed again. "Look at that outfit, too! What a fashionista."

I turned and narrowed my eyes at Tove. "Shut up."

Just then, I turned back to see Kaylen and her boyfriend coming toward us from down the hallway, but right then I was called into Natalie's room.

When I walked in, they closed the door behind me, and I stepped forward towards Natalie, my heart beating fast. She was all set up and ready to deliver our third child, gender undetermined at the moment.

Was I nervous? Just a little, yeah.

And so the bloodcurdling screams began...