Sixty Four

Natalie

While the kids were gone at school the next day and I had August in his high chair in the kitchen, I was cleaning around the house. Every time I moved rooms, I moved his high chair into the room where I was cleaning.

Hayden was about to leave for work that morning, and he was supposedly upstairs getting ready. I never knew with him.

As I constantly reminded Hayden not to do, his shoes were all piled beside the doorway, where he always put them whenever he came home or in from outside.

Sometimes I thought it as a sweet reminder. You know, a kind of even though it annoys me if he weren't here I would miss it sort of thing.

Today, I wasn't feeling that.

"Hayden! Get your boat shoes out of here and put them in your closet! Neatly!"

He didn't respond, but I heard a 'Natalie?' from behind me at the front door, and I turned around and it was my producer from the movie I did with Ashton Kutcher.

"Hi," I said, smiling. I blew a stray hair out of my face and stood up straight, crossing my arms over my chest.

"Hello," he said, "are you..."

"No, I'm not busy. Not busy at all." I cleared my throat. "So..."

"So. You wanted to... talk about something with me, am I correct?"

I thought for a minute, and then realized what he was talking about and was relieved to get it off my chest. "Oh! Yes, come in."

I led him in to the living room and unclipped August from his high chair, carrying him over to the couch to sit in my lap. He laid the back of his head on my stomach, and sat there, silent.

The producer laughed a little. "Ah, you've got a little thumbsucker."

I smiled. "Yeah. Um... so, about the... thing I wanted to talk to you about..."

"Yes. What is it?"

"Well, see..." I tapped my fingers on my knee, breathing out. I felt my forehead grow hot. Come on, Natalie, you can do this...

"I don't want to publish the movie."

He stared at me, wide-eyed. "What?"

"I'm sorry, it's just..."

"We already edited everything! We were actually supposed to let it out a couple of years ago, but needed more time to work on it --"

"I can't let that movie get out there. I just can't. I'm really sorry, I swear! Just please understand --"

"What is the reason? Why would you not want it to be let out? You did a fantastic job!"

"Yes, thank you. But... listen, I have kids. And a husband who I reserve myself for, and... well, it doesn't feel right. And from now on, I'm going to stay away from filming movies like that. It's just not right of me to do."

He stared at me blankly for a minute, his eyebrows furrowed. Finally, he said something.

"Fine, Natalie. I'll talk to the director about it. But no promises that it will not be let out. Is that clear?"

"Yes. Yes, sir, it is."

"Good. Now, go on with yelling at your big-footed husband. I have a movie to cancel."

I tried to stifle a laugh, and nodded. I didn't know he heard me say that! Oh, me...

"Yes, sir. Thank you so much."

He nodded and walked to the front of the house, with me following him. Just as he was about to walk out the door, he turned back and met eyes with me, a serious look on his face.

"I'll do... everything I can to keep this move from being put out. Goodbye."

"Thank you so much, again. Goodbye," I said as he walked out the door. Once he drove off and I had closed the door, I turned around and leaned my back against it, just to see Hayden staring at me from the bottom of the stairs.

"What was that about?"

I sighed, shaking my head. "I'll explain later."