Sixty Nine

Hayden

I waited for Natalie that morning, tapping my foot anxiously as I stood by the door. I couldn't wait to scare her.

Wait, did I say scare her? Well, that too, but also see her. Of course.

As soon as I heard the doorknob shake and the door unlock, I put my finger up to my mouth, gesturing to the kids who were sitting beside me. They stifled a few giggles, covering their mouths with their hands.

I turned back to the door, and faced Natalie, who was walking in and didn't see us there. Before she could even get all the way in, I jumped in front of her and made her stumble back and scream.

She let out a hysterical laugh, her hand still on her chest, as I pulled her into a hug.

Natalie buried her head in my neck and wrapped her arms around me, squeezing me tight. I laughed and pulled away, then leaned forward and pressed my lips against hers.

She only held on for a minute, moving on to the kids and attacking them with hugs and kisses. The dogs whined and howled excitedly and jumped on her as a greeting.

Finally, Natalie stood up and surveyed me, running her eyes along my appearance. "Aww, Hayden, your hair's so fluffy." She laughed. "What'd you do to it?"

"Nothing," I said nonchalantly, smiling.

She crashed into me again, nestling her forehead in the crook of my neck. "You smell like..."

"What?" I asked, pulling away. "Is it bad?"

"No!" she said, laughing. "It's just... you sort of smell like my shampoo."

The kids had run off to play in the living room, so it was a little quieter. "So you're saying I smell like a woman, then!" I said.

Natalie smirked, grinning widely. "Not exactly..."

"Fine, there was no shampoo left... of mine, and I didn't feel like going back out to the store to get more, so I... well, I kind of did use yours. Sorry." I scratched the back of my head, shaking it.

Natalie ran her fingers through my hair, still simpering. "So that explains why your hair is so extra-fluffy."

"Don't overemphasize it, Nat."

She laughed, kissing my forehead. "I love you."

"I love you," I said, leaning in and closing my eyes, pressing my forehead against hers. But that was the thing. Her forehead wasn't there to press against.

I fell forward a little, stumbling, and turned around just to watch her walking up the stairs.

I ran after her, grabbing her waist and pulling her down towards me. "Hayden," she drawled, trying to push me away. She laughed as I craned my neck forward to try to kiss her, and she leaned away.

Finally, she gave in, not trying to pull away anymore, and I kissed her cheek about five times consecutively until she laughed and succeeded in pulling away.

"I have to go do stuff," Natalie protested, walking farther up the stairs. "Stop being so clingy."

"But I missed you."

She turned around once she reached the top of the steps and met eyes with me, sticking her bottom lip out sympathetically. "You did?"

I nodded slowly. She opened her arms, and I walked up to her, kneeling and burying my head in her stomach.

Natalie rubbed the back of my head, saying, "I didn't think anyone missed me that much."

I looked up at her, smiling. "What? Of course they did."