Four

Natalie

My phone vibrated and I picked it up. It was Hayden, and he said, "Breakfast this morning?"

I was so excited, because soon, we would be filming the last parts of the Attack of the Clones, which the last part consisted of a wedding between the two main characters.

"Sure. Don't forget work after that though," I texted him back.

He texted a wink face back.

"Where is breakfast?" I asked.

"My house?"

"My house. You've done too much for me," I texted.

"Fine, Portman. Your house it is."

I smiled and climbed out of bed, pulling on my black leggings and a tank under one of Hayden's t-shirts. He had left it here a few nights before.

I tied it with a hair tie to make it fit better, and I put on some tennis shoes.

There was a knock on the door, and I ran to it and flung it open. "Wow, you came here fast."

"Hmm. I guess I did." He kissed me and walked in. "I feel like your trailer is bigger than it looks on the outside."

"Maybe it is."

"So, um...I wanted to ask you something."

"What?" I asked, pulling two granola bars out of the cabinet and tossing one to him.

"I was just going to see if you wanted to have a fancy dinner at my house on Friday."

"Sure! As always, I'm not doing anything."

"Alright, cool."

"You know, it's crazy how with all of the paparazzi and things we've been able to keep this somewhat a secret for so long."

"Ten months."

"Yes, almost a year." And we still haven't told each other one thing, I thought.

"Natalie?"

"Hmm?"

"N-Never mind," he said, shaking his head.

"Are you sure?"

"Yeah." He sighed. "Well, let's go."

"Alright. Sorry for not...cooking breakfast or anything."

"No problem."

We stepped in his Ferrari and drove off towards work. I noticed Hayden was quieter than usual, drumming his fingers on the steering wheel as he turned it.

"You okay, babe?" I asked.

"I'm fine."

I nodded slowly and looked back at the road ahead of us. All of the sudden, a flash of a car went by, and our car swerved to the side, the tires screeching.

"Hayden!" I screamed.

He was cringing and holding his leg. "Ah!"

"Hayden, what's wrong?!" I screamed, crying.

I climbed on him to see his left leg, and it was bleeding.

"Natalie," he said breathlessly. "Call 911."

I nodded vigorously and fumbled for my phone. I glanced out the front window and saw the person that hit us. He had a big SUV, and he was getting out of the car to check the damage. He looked a little off.

I dialed 911 quickly, and the receiver picked up. I explained everything, and they were on their way now.

Hayden put his head back, cringing. I held his face in my hands.

"Listen to me, Hayden! Can you hear me?"

He gave a faint nod and continued to roll his head. He was trying as hard as he could to endure the extreme pain.

"If it ends here...for some reason, Natalie..."

"No! No, Hayden, stop it!"

"I love you."

I burst into tears and collapsed against his chest. "I love you," I cried, sobbing.

The paramedics arrived and took him away from me, putting him onto a stretcher.

I ran to his side. "You're going to be okay, Hayden. I know it."

He nodded and closed his eyes.

I didn't care what the public thought, I didn't care what the paparazzi posted. I kissed him, and a tear fell on his cheek from mine.

One paramedic helped me up into the back of the ambulance. I sat on the bench next to Hayden, worrying. "I love you."

"I love you," he said back.

The paramedics were shouting all sorts of codes back and forth that I didn't understand. I could've sworn I heard someone say 'amputation.'

I stood up as they closed the doors of the ambulance and drove towards the hospital. "Amputation? No, no, no..."

"Ma'am, we're going to have to perform that type of surgery on his leg unless he wants to have no feeling in his leg. His leg was crushed during the accident," one of the younger paramedics said.

"Wait, but-"

"I'm sure you have the money to pay for a mechanical leg. The highest one we've got right now."

"Yes." I cast a nervous glance at Hayden. "Up to where will you amputate?"

"A few inches below his knee."

I nodded and swallowed hard.

The paramedic took his eyes off of me, and we were at the hospital in minutes. They rushed Hayden out of the back of the ambulance and rolled the stretcher through the doors of the hospital. They rushed him through the hallways, and into a emergency surgery room. I was left to sit on a bench on the outside. I prayed that he would be fine, and that no matter what happened, we would still love each other.

***********************************

Hours later, I lifted my head and looked around. I had totally forgotten about contacting George to let him know we were late. I picked up my phone and dialed his number.

He ended up not picking up, so I decided to leave a message for him.

"Hey, George, I'm so sorry I couldn't contact you sooner," I said, my voice shaking a little with every word. "Hayden and I were in a severe car accident and I'm sitting in the hospital right now waiting for him to come out of the medical room. I'll explain all of it later, just please call back as soon as you can. Thanks." I took a deep breath and put my phone back in my purse.

The surgical room door opened, and a doctor came out. "Well, Ms. Portman. Mr. Christensen is doing just fine with his new leg. He'll come out in a minute," he explained.

I smiled, because I couldn't keep it in. I was so excited to see Hayden well again.