Thirty

Hayden

I would have never thought five years ago that I would've married Natalie and had a son and a daughter on the way. It was just how I wished life to be, and I never had thought it would've come true.

Since I am currently experiencing raising a son, I was happy I would get a girl so I could experience that, too. I didn't know what to expect, but I hoped and prayed it would be just as good as a boy was. Anyway, people say when they're your own kids you are much more attached and raising them is much more satisfying, even when things could get rough.

Natalie actually had wanted a boy again, despite what we told Sawyer about our wishes. But, sticking to her promise before, she was happy anyway. She was just excited we were blessed with another child.

When had first become a dad, everything in my life changed. There was and extra someone to care for and be a good role model to. No more alone time for Natalie and I anymore. An extra mouth to feed. But all of those things made me feel responsible, positively.

One of the dreaded parts before the baby comes for me is picking a name. Oh, and I can't forget waiting for the baby to be here, too.

That morning Natalie and I laid in bed, having just woken up. Sawyer was gone, away at my parent's house, sleeping over there. The first thing Natalie mentions -- the baby's name.

"Natalie," I groaned, burying my face in my pillow, "the baby won't be here for another five months. Do we really need to worry about a name now?"

"I just want you to think about it."

"That's all I've been thinking about, babe, because that's all you've been talking about."

"Fine," Natalie said, laying back down next to me, because she had been sitting up. "Just try to think of a name you like."

"Yeah."

There was a short pause where everything was silent.

"Hayden?"

"Yeah, babe."

"Have you ever seen... you know. Have you ever seen those tattoos that couples get and they match?"

I nodded, turning over to face her. "Why?"

"Well, I saw some really meaningful ones somewhere that seemed like something you and I would get. I want --"

"Wait, what? Tattoos?"

"Yes. Please, Hayden. Can we?"

I sighed, shaking my head. "Maybe..."

Natalie smiled, pecking my forehead. "You're the best, Hayden."

"Uh - huh. I know I am."

"What do you say to a race downstairs? Whoever's last is a rotten egg!" she cried, throwing the sheets back and running out of the room. I smiled and got out of bed too, running after her and down the stairs. She was ahead of me, but as soon as her feet touched the floor downstairs, I grabbed her and spun her around. "Let go, Hayden!" Natalie laughed, kicking at me. "I still won, you know." She settled down into my arms and laid her head back against my chest, breathing out. "So how about that baby name?"

I shook my head and she laughed, escaping my arms. She ran and I chased after her, off to the kitchen. Hey. At least we still had the energy in us.