Seventy Five

Hayden

We were out back with the kids and the dogs that Sunday afternoon at my parents' house for Father's Day. We were the first ones there; no one else had arrived yet.

Dakota was starting to get to the point where when we would all run around and goof off, she would just sit on the sidelines and watch, like an old, obedient dog would. But the more I thought about it, the more upset I felt about it. She was an old dog. She had been there since the beginning, and soon... well, soon she wouldn't be there anymore to witness coming big events.

She had been my dog, ten years ago when I first had gotten her from the pound when I was twenty years old, looking for a new companion. A couple months later I turned twenty-one and met the love of my life and married her, and it was the three of us. Then our first baby came along, Sawyer James Christensen. Then Temple Morgan, then August Everett, and lastly, another spoiled husky named Rex who I rescued. Rex also meant a lot to me, but Kota... she was even more special.

I knew very well that she was 'just a dog' and that in time, she wouldn't be here anymore, but she really did fit the title of a man's best friend for me.

But, enough said about the tearjerking story about me and my dog.

Let's get down to Father's Day at my parents' house.

***********************************

Natalie sat behind me on the couch after lunch, talking to Hejsa about whatever, what I assumed was 'girl stuff.' Temple sat on my lap and the boys stood at either side of me, looking at a newer photo album that was folded out in front of us on the coffee table.

As I pointed to a picture of Sawyer as a newborn, all three of them laughed.

"What?" I asked. "What's so funny?"

They didn't quite answer, but Temple giggled out, "who is that?"

"It's your big brother."

"Really?" Temple asked, her mouth wide open. "Nuh-uh!"

"Yuh-huh," I replied, smiling. As I flipped the page, there were more pictures of Sawyer; this was the album dedicated to him. There was one of him as a toddler, cuddling with Kota. Kota had her chin resting on his head, and he looked up at her, playing with her ears.

Now that was one I wanted to keep forever.

"Mom," I called. She looked at me from the kitchen, her eyebrows raised. "Sweetie?"

"Hey, do you have a copy of this picture of Sawyer and Kota?" I asked, holding it up.

"Which one? There are a lot of Sawyer and Kota."

"Let me see," Natalie said from behind me, taking the photo from my hand. "Aww, we don't have that one at our house. I forgot about that picture."

I stood up and took the picture back from Natalie, taking it over to my mom.

She looked at it, smiling. "Yes, I do have a copy of that, dear. Do you want it?"

"Please."

"I'll go get it from upstairs."

I nodded and walked back to the living room, crashing on the couch beside Natalie.

As I set my head on the back of the couch, Natalie started to run her fingers through my hair, and Temple jumped up on me, curling up in my lap.

I lifted my head to look at Temple, and she grinned at me, laughing. "What?" I asked slowly and suspiciously. "What did you do?"

"Nothing," she replied in her best innocent voice, and her angel face told me she didn't do anything wrong. "Daddy?"

"Yeah?"

"Is Aunt Kaylen and Ryan gonna have kids when they are married?"

"I don't know. Why don't you ask?"

Kaylen's boyfriend, Ryan, had proposed to her months ago, and they were just about to have their wedding on a beach nearby. Tove and I were the groomsmen, and so were a few of her guy friends. The ring bearer was August, the flower girl was Taia, Hejsa's daughter, Hejsa was the maid of honor, Natalie was a bridesmaid, and other friends and family were also bridesmaids.

Temple ran over to Kaylen and tapped her, and Kaylen turned around, smiling and lifting Temple into her arms.

"Aunt Kaylen," Temple said, playing with her hair, "are you going to ever have a baby?"

"I hope so," she said, nodding. "Why?"

"I want more cousins. Uncle Tove doesn't have kids 'cause he doesn't have a wife, and you don't either."

"You'll have more cousins. Hopefully soon enough." Kaylen touched the end of Temple's nose playfully and set her down on the floor.

Temple ran over to Tove, pulling on his shorts. "Uncle Tove, are you ever gonna have a wife and babies?"

"Temple," I scolded, walking over to her from the living room and lifting her.

"What?" she said, her eyebrows furrowed in confusion.

Tove acted like it was no big deal and shrugged, going back to what he was eating.

He hadn't dated anyone since he assaulted his girlfriend Maria back a couple of months ago and was charged and arrested for it briefly. None of us liked to talk about it. It was sort of a touchy subject.

So as we all gathered together later to eat dinner, we celebrated Father's Day, except that Tove... he couldn't really relate.

I didn't know that he ever would.

***********************************

A/N: I know it's not Father's Day QUITE yet, but will be soon, and I guess I wanted to celebrate early. Even though you might never read this, Daddy, I just want you to know that even though it way not always seem like it (through rough times), I am so grateful for you and what you do for us. You can literally fix anything and everything, and I really think that's pretty awesome (and hope that someday my husband will be the same way and know he never will be XD). I never really feel worried when something's wrong, because I know you'll be there to help or fix it. I think you do a lot of good in the world, even though you may not realize it with all of the people you help and work you do. I love you so much and thank you! <3