Sixty Six

Natalie

As soon as I had dinner ready, the doorbell rang, and I knew it was the McGregors.

"Hayden, can you --"

"I got it!" Hayden called. I heard him open the door and a bunch of greetings.

I turned around, and Ewan was at my side already, smiling.

He kissed my cheek as a Scottish greeting, and I hugged him back, as well as Eve, his wife. "I haven't seen you guys in forever! You all look great!"

"Oh, Natalie," Eve started, "we can definitely say the same about you. You look beautiful!"

"Thank you! I've been working hard on dinner, so I might not look my best right now, though." I leaned down and greeted Ewan's youngest out of his four girls, Anouk, who was just six months old. "Hi, Anouk! I know you don't remember me, but I met you when you were a baby."

She looked at me with eyes full of wonder, smiling. She was so cute. I smiled back.

Ewan walked off to go talk with Hayden, while Eve stayed in the kitchen, stirring the soup for me.

"So, how is your family, Natalie?" Eve asked, looking at me and leaning against the counter.

"Oh, they're great. We celebrated Hayden's birthday about a month ago with family, so that was fun."

"Yeah, sounds like it!"

I nodded, smiling. "I'm filming a new movie."

"Ah, is that so? I was wondering when you would be doing another. You know, Natalie, I admire your work. You are such an amazing, talented woman. Your husband is, too." She laughed. "Well, an amazing, talented man, I mean."

I laughed, too. "Thank you. I'm sure he'd also be glad to hear that."

So we gathered around and ate dinner, talking about the joys of our families and events of our lives.

**********************************

"Clara! Will you get the crockpot from the kitchen, please?" Ewan called to their oldest as they started out the door, getting ready to leave our home.

"Yes, Daddy!" she said, obeying her father's orders and entering the kitchen.

I turned to Ewan, who stood by the door, waiting. "Just how did you get your teenage daughter to be so obedient?" I asked.

He chuckled. "Why do ask? Are you afraid of what Temple's attitude will become?"

I sighed. "Exactly that."

"Well, it just takes patience. I promise you, once you've got that down, after that, there's no stopping you and your law enforcement at home."

I laughed. "Yeah, I guess. But that other day, when Temple didn't get her way and threw a tantrum, it gave me a reminder of what she could turn out like as a teenager. But it's not just her, its all if them. As they get older, I just get more confused about... you know, if Hayden and I are being too strict or too soft. I don't know. We just need some advice."

"Don't worry, Natalie. I understand your struggle and confusion, but the answers will come to you once you reach the time to figure it all out. It's not as hard as it seems, though it's still difficult being a parent. Believe me, I would know. Being a father to four daughters is difficult."

We laughed together. "I can imagine," I said.

Eve came up to me one last time once she had come in from loading the kids into the car and thanked me. "Dinner was wonderful, and we love spending time with your family."

"Same to you," I said, smiling. "And thank you for coming. We enjoy your company."

Eve and Ewan stepped out and said goodbye to Hayden, too, and he came back in with the kids from letting them say their goodbyes to their friends. The McGregor kids waved at us from their car, smiling. We waved back.

Once the family had pulled out of the driveway and left, my family came back inside, closing the door behind us. "That was nice," I said, and Hayden nodded in agreement.

Once we had put the kids to bed, and Hayden was getting ready upstairs, I walked into the kitchen, my purpose being to clean up the dishes and mess in the sink.

But I only walked in to find a clean sink and kitchen, with a note taped to the counter beside it.

At first, I expected it to be Eve who cleared the dishes for me, but then I remembered she was with me the whole time after dinner.

It was Ewan and Hayden who did it, their names signed on the note on the counter with a little message on it saying:

Women usually do all of the work. We appreciate it, but this time, it's the men's turn. You're welcome.

I smiled and bit my lip, suddenly even more grateful to have thoughtful, close friends than I ever had been. Because little deeds...

Well, they went a far way.