Fifty Seven

Natalie

In the end, everything was fine. It had been days in the hospital with our new baby boy, August Everett Christensen, and we were ready to take him home.

The kids loved him. He was a happy and healthy baby, at exactly eight pounds and two ounces. He had deep brown eyes and a little bit of blondish hair on his head. Hayden said he looked like me.

The last few nights, I'd been up all night entertaining him. Hayden stayed with me during the nights and his parents had taken home the kids to watch them. Everything was working out just fine.

Hayden came to lay beside me that morning while my parents took the kids to the gift shop downstairs. He kissed my temple and nestled his head in my shoulder, looking at August. August slept in my arms, his face peaceful.

"I love you, Natalie," Hayden whispered, brushing his finger across my cheek.

"I love you too," I said, smiling. I was about to say something else, but August stirred and opened his eyes. Hayden lifted him and held him over himself, then brought him back down again and sat him on his chest.

"Hey, buddy. You want to go see your brother and sister?"

August didn't respond, just stared at his father blankly.

Hayden laughed, leaning forward to kiss the top of his head. "Let's go." He stood, taking the baby over to the door with him, about to walk out, before the kids ran in past him.

Sawyer and Temple jumped up on the hospital bed beside me, covering me with kisses and hugs. I laughed, trying to love them back, but they wouldn't let me and continued until Hayden walked over with the baby. Then they turned around and started to smother August.

They laughed, and I thought it was very sweet, but I also knew August might get upset by it. Luckily, by themselves, the kids pulled away and busied themselves by just gently playing with him and stroking the bit of hair on his head.

A few times we had to warn Temple not to be too harsh since the baby was fragile; she had never experienced a younger sibling before. Otherwise, everything was fine.

No... everything was great. Hayden and I loved the family we'd made together more than words could explain.

**********************************

"Natalie! August's --"

"There's a bottle in the freezer."

For the past month, Hayden had been sort of needy in the aspect of caring for August. Usually, he would take care of everything if I couldn't, but with this baby, it was different. I didn't know why.

Hayden had been sick with a cold for the past week, constantly sneezing, sniffing, and coughing. That was why I wanted him to keep his distance from August, since babies catch sicknesses so easily, but he refused and always wanted to help me.

But for some reason, he seemed to be forgetting everything about babies from the last two times we had them.

"Okay." I heard him sneeze and then sniff from the bedroom again as I turned the water off in the shower.

"Bless you," I said, stepping out of the shower and wrapping my towel around me. I walked out of the bathroom and took August from Hayden. "I'll take care of him, babe. You should lay down and rest before the kids get home from school."

"But --"

"No 'buts,'" I said, laying August down on our bed. "I've got it, Hayden, alright? I promise."

"Okay. Fine." He laid down in bed, but when August started to fuss, he sat up again and tried to tend to him, about to pick him up.

"Hayden."

"Wha -- sorry! I just wanted to help..."

"I know, but I told you to rest."

"I know..." he laid back down again, coughing a couple of times before he started to settle.

Quickly, I changed into my day clothes, which consisted of jeans and a nice top, and walked over to August, cradling him. "Hi, baby! What is it? Are you tired? Is it time for sleepy?" I tickled his stomach and he laughed. "Let's get you into your crib for a little nap. Does that sound good?" I smiled as he just watched me, beaming.

He reached up and batted at a loose section of my hair, laughing at it. It was so cute how he thought the smallest things in life were just absolutely hilarious and entertaining. I laughed with him and got up from sitting on the bed, setting him down in his crib. "You're going to go night-night for a couple hours, alright? Then you wake up Sawyer and Temple will be back." I kissed his forehead lightly. "Goodnight, Auggie."

I turned around to see Hayden watching me, half of his face buried in his pillow. On his face was a sweet, innocent grin. I cracked a small smile.

Turning back to August, I said, "Daddy's going to nap in here with you today." I turned back to Hayden one last time and kissed the side of his head, pushing back his hair. "Goodnight, Hayden."

"Good afternoon, you mean?" he pointed out, his eyebrows raised.

I rolled my eyes, shaking my head. "Yes, Mr. Literal. Afternoon," I corrected. I smiled and walked out of the room, cracking the door behind me. "Sleep well, boys."