Twenty Nine

Natalie

Sure, I was completely infuriated about the whole thing with Rachel Bilson, but was I mad at Hayden? No.

I have to admit, though, I was mad at first, just because it was so sudden. It really shocked me.

The next morning I woke up Hayden had his arm wrapped around my waist loosely, his head nestled between my neck and my shoulder. I smiled and squeezed his hand playfully. Though his eyes were closed, I saw his eyelashes flutter a little and his lips form a small smile.

It took him a few minutes to wake up, but when he did, he got up, kissed my cheek and walked out, making his side of the bed's sheets. I thought it was slightly strange, but I waited to see what would come next.

I ended up falling back asleep for a matter of two minutes. What aroused me was the smell of breakfast. That's what Hayden got up for! He was making me breakfast.

I was about to get up and walk downstairs, but before I could Hayden appeared and eased me back against the headboard, setting my tray of breakfast in front of me.

"Hey, relax. We're not going anywhere today," he said.

"Breakfast in bed? Hayden, this is... this is a dream come true!" I exclaimed, laughing. I met eyes with him and smiled. "But you didn't have to do this. Look, Hayden... I'm not mad at you. I know why you're doing this, and I appreciate it. Greatly. But honestly, you don't have to do this."

He smiled at me and nuzzled my nose with his, kissing me once. I smiled and took his face in my hands, kissing him again. He kissed me twice more and we laughed, our faces close.

"Daddy! Where's my food?" Sawyer said, stomping in with his arms crossed. Hayden turned to look at him, averting his eyes from mine. "I thought I set it in front of you where you were sitting."

A devious smile crossed our son's face, and he let out a giggle. Dakota came in licking her lips, still chewing on food.

"Oh," Hayden and I said at the same time.

I ran my hand through the back of his hair. "Don't forget about your haircut appointment later today."

Hayden groaned and laid back in bed beside me, rubbing my lower back. "I was hoping you wouldn't remember. But I should've known. You never forget anything."

I laughed. "That's not true."

There were a few moments of silence, all but the noise of the bed creaking as a result of Sawyer climbing it to sit with us.

"How much do you have in your brain, Natalie?"

I looked at him and smiled. "How much do I have in my brain?"

He nodded, raising his eyebrows, the cute little scar in his right eyebrow raising with them.

"A lot. You have to when you're an actress, a wife and a mother."

Sawyer crawled into my lap and patted my stomach gently. "The baby is in there?"

"Yes. The baby's in there."

"Why?"

"God put it there."

"Why?"

"Because. He wanted you to have a sister or a brother."

"When will you know if it is a sister or a brother?"

"Soon. But not yet. We'll tell you when," I said, eyeing Hayden. He smiled, I smiled back.

"I want it to be a brother. What do you want it to be Daddy?"

"I'll be happy with whatever it is, buddy."

"What 'bout you, Mommy?"

I shrugged. "A baby that's like you." I touched the tip of his nose and he laughed, throwing his little chubby arms around my waist. I laughed too and kissed his forehead. "I love you, Sawyer."

"I love you, Mama."

So for the rest of the day we basically stayed in bed and hung out at home, continuing what we were doing in the morning for the whole rest of the day.