Fifty Four

Natalie

The next morning, we were off to Hayden's hockey game. We filed in the stands, one by one, the kids on either side of me. They had their coats, gloves and hats on, and sat on the edge of the bleacher we were on, looking out onto the ice for Hayden with much anticipation. They knew how hockey worked. After all, they were being raised and had Canadian blood in them.

Once the game started, the kids were cheering Hayden and his team on, and I participated too. But as soon as the game began, I started to feel queasy and the baby kicked.

I breathed out, trying to calm myself. Everything would be fine. It always was.

The Canucks scored a bunch of points, and half the crowd erupted in screams and cheers. I smiled, happy for them, but was quickly distracted by a sharp cramp low in my stomach.

After a few more cramps, getting worse and closer together as the minutes passed, I knew exactly what was going on.

Contractions.

What was I going to do? I scanned my surroundings, the stands full of people so I wouldn't be able to get out easily. The kids were with me. They would probably give me a hard time about leaving in the middle of the game.

I started to sweat. Hayden would be disappointed if he didn't know I left. If I called 911, I would create a huge scene, interrupt the game, and embarrass myself and Hayden and his team.

I could do this.

I turned to Sawyer and tapped him, and he looked up at me, smiling. "Yeah, Mommy?" I could tell he was excited about the game, and I didn't want to break his heart be telling him we had to leave.

I sighed. "Sawyer, Mommy's going to have to go to the hospital. I'm going to call Uncle Tove and ask him if he can sit here with you guys when I leave, okay?"

"Is the baby --"

"Yes," I finished, rubbing his back.

When I got off the phone with Tove, the contractions were just minutes apart. And as soon as Tove entered the stadium and caught my eye, I rushed over to him and hugged him. "Thank you," I breathed, walking past him. I turned to look back behind me, and I saw him running over to the kids.

Thank goodness I got that part figured out.

Now all I had to do was actually get to the hospital and deliver the baby.