Fifty Five

Hayden

As soon as the clock timed out, me and my team erupted in screams and yells of victory, pumping our fists and jumping up and down on the ice.

I looked out to the crowd for Natalie and the kids, and once I'd spotted the place where they sat, it was only Sawyer, Temple and my brother.

Wait... my brother?

What about my wife?

Shortly after, I ran to the locker room and changed, out of my heavyweight clothes and pads. I looked in the mirror and ran a hand through my hair, just to see Tove run in behind me, the kids following.

Tove reached me, slapping me on the back. "Good game," he breathed, the words rushing out of his mouth.

"Where's --"

"Hayden, Natalie's in labor. She had been for the last hour."

"What?"

"She's --"

"Keep the kids, I'm going," I said, pulling on my jacket. "I'll meet you there later."

"Wait, Hayden --"

"No time for questions. For anything," I spat, cutting him off. "I have to be there for her."

"Hey, it's not like --"

Before he could finish, I ran out of the locker room with my duffel over my shoulder.

Once I was outside, I shoved it in the trunk, slid into the driver's seat, out the keys into the ignition and sped off toward the hospital.

I'd promised her I'd be there, no matter what the circumstance.