008. the night of her birthday

L I F E L I N E

february 14, 2023

february 14, 2023

"lilli," one of the girl's co-workers spoke in a sing-song was as she gained the girl's attention out the back in the salon's color room, cleaning up after her final client. "there's a boy here for you.."

"oh.. i'll be out in a second.."

"is there not supposed to be a boy picking you up?" cordelia furrowed. "i can tell him to leave if that's the case."

"no, no, it's fine," she said, having a good idea on who it was since she had only told one boy in particular when she was finishing work.

drying up the dye bowls, she put them away and headed back out to the salon floor. instantly looking across the space and locking eyes with the boy, her eyes scanning up to the ballon he was holding then back at him with a small smile on her lips while softly shaking her head.

"happy birthday!" daniel smile as she walked over closer to him, and he held out the balloon and the cake he had spent the day making for her.

"what are you doing here?"

"i came to surprise you," he chuckled. "i couldn't let my best friend spend the night of her birthday alone."

"cute cake and a.. valentine's day balloon?" she furrowed, following with a small laugh.

"it was all they had! plus.. i think a pink heart shaped one is more you over a colorful birthday one," he shrugged, looking up at it himself. "it's cute, don't you think?"

"mhm."

"and a dairy free, nut free cake," he presented it to her. "made by me."

"i can tell, jamesy, i love it," she nodded, talking about the way it had been decorated while taking the box off of him and placing it on the reception desk behind her. "thank you," she hugged him.

"you're very welcome," he said soaking in the moment with her.

".. hey, sorry to ruin the moment.." cordelia softly spoke up while gently placing her hand on the younger girl's shoulder, causing her to pull away from daniel. "iris and i are going to head out, are you alright to lock up, doll?"

"mhm," liberty quickly nodded. "of course. we're gonna head out in a second as well anyway."

"enjoy the rest of your birthday," iris added. "see you again tomorrow."

"i will thank you, see you tomorrow," she smiled, watching the two walk over towards the front door. "byee," turning her attention back to the boy once they shut the door behind themselves. "so.."

"so.. dinner?" daniel raised a brow. "i'm assuming you haven't eaten yet."

"i have not," she agreed. "let me get my bag, then.. if i have my car and you have your car.. what's the go?"