029. having to trust your word

L I F E L I N E

march 9, 2023

after watching a movie, the two were still sat on the lounge in the boy's living room under the dim light of the tv screen. talking about their past, asking playful questions about one another as they simply got to each other and the time approached midnight.

"how old were you.. when we had your first kiss?" violet said with slight hesitation as she thought of a question to ask.

"um.."

summer of 2014. the seavey and mckenna/harris families were away on their annual camping trip at the same camping site their mothers had attended as teen — in fact, the place where kate and keri had met.

a vacation like so was always what they found worked best for them and their big families. it gave something for all the kids of different ages to get up to, hence why they brought back the tradition.

and as they would at home, the kids would always all split off into their little groups to spend the days with, and hang out with the friends they've made there over the years.

on this particular night as it neared the end of their stay, daniel and liberty were with about nine friends from the site, and her younger brother, arlo, sat down by the lake when the idea of spin the bottle came up.

"lilli, i'm gonna go back to the caravan," arlo whispered to his sister. "i'm.. feeling tired.."

"yeah, okay," she nodded, then too standing up as he done so. "i'll be back, i'm gonna walk back with arlo, and also go to the bathroom."

"i'll come with," daniel quickly hopped up.

"you don't need to," the fourteen year old softly shook her head at him. "i capable of walking back here."

"and i'd be dead if i let you," he replied with a small chuckle to soften the comment. "the game can wait five minutes, can't it?"

"yeah, i mean, sure," one of the of boys shrugged.

"we wont be long," liberty added.

walking away, the three somewhat took their time as they made their way to their families caravans. the girl making sure her thirteen year old brother was okay after his slightly sudden change in wanting to hang with them.

liberty quickly used the bathroom before the two older teens explained to their parents what they were planning on doing, and started heading back to their friends.

"i don't know how i feel about playing," liberty blurted out.

"spin.. the bottle?" he raised a brow, grabbing her hand as he stopped in the spot and turned towards her.