038. i promise i didn't

L I F E L I N E

march 13, 2023

"why did you lie to me," liberty bluntly spoke as she entered the boy's apartment ahead of their planned monday night dinner.

"lie to you about what?" aj furrowed.

"about saturday night.." she closely watched him, stopping on the spot as he started walking closer to her.

"i never lied to you?"

"i called the bar.." she explained as she took a step backward. "they said you brought me home at like 11, not when they closed.."

"lilli, i knew if i had of told you, you would've assumed something happened," he stepped closer, grabbing ahold of her hand before she could move away any further.

"girls would assume either way.. especially when they don't remember it.. so why not just tell the truth..?"

"i just thought it'd be easier," he shrugged, leading her over to the dinning table. "anyway, come sit down, dinners basically cooked."

"i don't understand the choice to leave me here when you went back to the club either.." she added as she sat down at the dining table.

"you fell asleep the second you laid down, i knew i could trust leaving you here," aj simply replied.

".. and what if i hadn't of?"

"lilli, stop with the questions," he obviously shook his head as he grabbed the two plates and brought them back over to the table. "you got nothing to worry about."

"did i-"

"lilli!"

"i'm sorry, i'm just trying to understand," she slightly mumbled, accepting the food and utensils from him. "thank you.." she said as he sat down across from her, and she used her fork to slightly played with the food while trying to work out if it was something she could eat.

"i didn't poison it. just eat it."

"i'm allergic to nuts and can't have dairy, that's all.."

"it's fuckin' chicken and veggies."

"mh.." she hummed while picking up the smallest amount on the fork and taking a bite, almost instantly noting that the sauce on top was cheesy.

trying her best to move any of the pieces with the sauce to the side, then slowly picking at the rest — mostly the chicken as she was quite picky when it came to vegetables.

"i promise i didn't do anything to you," he spoke up after a couple minutes of silence. "you can trust me."

"i trust you.." libertty quietly responded. "like i said, i was just trying to make the other night make sense.."

"you can talk to jonty, he can tell ya that i was only gone for the time it takes to drive here and back," he added. "i would never let that cunt take over for more than half hour. i ain't letting him butcher my career."

"can i please just know why you didn't just wait till close to bring me here?"

"cause you were very drunk and could barely form even a short sentence, you needed to get out of there before someone else took the opportunity to take advantage of you. i offered to take you home, i offered to book you an uber but you didn't want that, you wanted to be with me."

"i didn't care about letting you staying here alone, and i never will, i've had many past girls stay while i work or whatever, there's nothing here i care about loosing or that i can't afford to buy again.."

"i think you're hot lilli, and i would really like to get to know you better," he continued as she kept quiet while thinking about it all. "you seem like one hundred and ten percent my type. i just hope this stupid idea you have that's far from the truth, won't ruin what we could be."

"i think you're hot too.." liberty admitted, playing with her food as her gaze stayed on the plate for a couple more seconds. "i'm sorry that i judged you too quickly- i do wish you would've just told me the truth to begin with but it's okay.. it's just hard being a girl and you gotta be cautious about some people sometimes.."

"hey, i get it," he slightly shrugged. "that's why i wasn't sure about telling you the truth to begin with. i know how girls get. i didn't even think you'd ask the bar.."

"mh.."

"start over. start fresh?" he more so suggested.

"okay," she softly nodded with a small smile.

"hey, i'm aj, nice to meet you," he held his hand out over the table.

"hey, i'm lilli," she softly chuckled as she shook his hand. "it's nice to meet you."

AUTHOR'S NOTE!
i know i haven't updated in
forever but is anyone even still
reading this lol i miss when people
would interact it'd give me more
motivation