005. you're acting so distant

L I F E L I N E

february 13, 2023

february 13, 2023

"you look pretty," sebastian smiled at the girl after she had answered the door.

"thank you," liberty copied the gesture, following by softly yelling out to her friends inside their home that she was leaving.

he grabbed her hand, leading her over to the passenger's side of his car and opening the door for her. then walking over to the other, getting in himself before starting it up and beginning the route to the restaurant.

she was a little taken back by the fact she didn't get a kiss or even a hug since they were his go-to's when greeting her, but she decided to just brush it off so she could enjoy her early birthday and valentine's day date night, drama free.

the drive there was relatively quiet with music filling the silence, only small talk about each of their day's. and although many would see it as an awkward situation, the two found it quite comfortable. especially liberty who, as always, was happy to be spending time accompanied by someone she could see a future with.

arriving at the restaurant and handing his keys over to the valet, sebastian held her hand as they made their way inside and to their table. sitting down across from one another, soon ordering drinks and then turning their attention to the menu.

"pick whatever you want," he said, causing her to look up at him in slight confusion. "i don't care about the price."

"mhm," liberty softly nodded. falling into silence yet again, she glanced between the boy and the menu. then once making up her mind, she hesitated slightly before saying; "sebby..?"

"yeah?" he looked back at her.

"why are you so quiet today?"

"i-," he shrugged. "...i didn't realise you and daniel were so close."

"we've been friend's literally my whole life," she furrowed. "i told you this.. our mom's have always been friends so we've always been close but there's nothing going on between us. i like you, and daniel.. would be in a relationship if he wasn't shit a keeping girls around."

"mh.."

"is he why you're acting so distant?"

"uh.." he hummed, slightly tilting his head side to side as he thought of how to word it. "there is something i need to talk to you about.."

"what is it about then?"

"it can wait till after dinner," he brushed it off, watching her open her mouth to reply with something. "don't stress, let's just enjoy tonight."

"i can't try but now that's gonna be all i'm thinking about.." she mentioned. "you can't just say something like that and then make me wait, it's just going to make me think of a million different things.. most of which are bad.. so i'd prefer if you just tell me.."

"i.. don't think you would.."

"sebastian.."

"whiskey sour for you, miss.. and a jack and coke," their waiter said handing each of them their drinks. "and are you two ready to order?"

"yea-"

"just five more minutes please," liberty interrupted the boy, while sending the staff member a smile before receiving a nod and him walking away.

"lilli, please.. we'll talk after dinner."

"you shouldn't have mentioned it," she slightly sniffled while trying to calm her emotions, not necessarily wanting to cause a scene. "i really like you seb, and i'm sorry but i can't sit through this dinner acting like everything's fine when apparently it's not."

"i've fucked up in many ways, okay? i just want to have one last good night with you-"

"i can't do this," she shook her head, picking up her drink and practically skulling it to not have it go to waste.

"lilli.."

ignoring the boy she quickly looked around the room for their waiter, soon connecting eyes with him which cause him to walk back over to their table. "are yous ready to order now?" he asked with his table open, ready to put the order through.

"um could we just have the check please, we won't be eating tonight."

"lilli," sebastian repeated.

"of.. course," the waiter nodded, awkwardly looking between the pair. "i'll be back in just a moment."

"lil are you seriously going to through tonight away over something so stupid."

"and unless you can give me an reasonable response for wanting to end things, which isn't something silly like daniel being my best friend, then i'm going home and not staying here with you because i need to set boundaries for myself. i've been hurt too many times by giving second chances and you know that, i've always been so open to you."

struggling to find a response, sebastian was luckily saved by the waiter coming back to the table; "i'll be paying," he accepted the bill as he pulled out his wallet.

"sorry to waste your time," liberty then apologised to the waiter, followed by having the last of her drink.

"you didn't waste my time," he shook his head, watching as the other finished signing the bill. sebastian counting out the cash for the two drinks plus a decent tip and putting it inside before closing it up and handing it back to the waiter. "i hope you enjoy the night."

then with minimal noise, liberty grabbed her little handbag, pulled it over her arm onto her shoulder and begun walking out of the restaurant. sebastian quickly getting up and following behind her, attempting to grab her hand which she had swiftly pulled away from.

"lilli, let's get the car, we'll go stop somewhere and talk.. about everything, then i'll take you home," he said after they both came to a stop out the front and the valet left to get his car. "i'm sorry for ruining the dinner, i should've waited till after."

"okay.."

waiting there in silence, the valet soon brought the boy's car back around and got paid before two got in and drove away a few minutes away from the restaurant, where sebastian found somewhere not to busy to stop and park the car so they could do as they agreed.

"i'm a dick for this i know, but.."

AUTHOR'S NOTE!
ooo cliffhanger 🤭 i promise it
won't be ages for the next chapter.
speaking of.. i actually apologise for
how bad i am at updating this. i love
the plot and the ideas i have i'm just
so bad at writing lately so you're
just gonna have to bare with me