Chapter Seven: Reunited in the Thrill of Battle

Wolfie was taking a short rest with Castcoon and Poplio when they got the feeling of being watched.

While a couple of trainers would challenge them here and their before they made it to this spot this felt different, and Wolfie wasn't completely sure that was a good thing.

But who knows, maybe she was just still incredibly shaken after what had happened mere hours ago before sunrise. After all she had repressed those memories for a reason. She didn't want to remember all of... that.

Perhaps Poplio sensed this inner conflict because it scooted its way over to her, and curled into their lap.

Wolfie smiled, and gently pet Poplio's head.

At least Poplio was still alive, at least she could say that much.

Castcoon to, both of them were thriving better then Wolfie could've ever hoped for, and that was enough to calm her down at least a little.

The eyes watching her however could not be ignored, but what else was there to do? After all she had spent the whole ass night either fighting or looking for a Wooloo to take it from its home.

Wolfie sighed and rubbed her closed eye.

They really needed some rest.

With Castcoon and Poplio nuzzled in next to her, Wolfie drifted off to sleep.

Her dreams however were not pleasant.

"Poplio!"

Pop! Pop!

"Stop it! Let him go! Please!"

Caaasst...

"Castcoon!"

"Why? Why!? Why!? Why!!?? Why!!!??? WHY!!!!!????"

A bloody hand reaches out for the helpless Pokémon who are also badly wounded as sobs emerge.

"Please... kill me instead... just... let them live... I beg of you!"

Lio...

"No... Arceus why? Don't make me go through this again! Please!!"

A terrifying growl emerges and the sobs get even worse.

"I just... don't care... anymore about what happens to me... you can do what you like just... please... don't kill them... please........           please................          please........................ please....................................

Please..."

Wolfie woke up to tears falling down her face, and a worried Poplio and Castcoon that were unharmed looking at her with a concerned expression on both of their faces.

Wolfie wrapped the both of them in a hug, crying softly.

To any outsider who did not know what the context was this would seem as though a trainer was reuniting with their Pokémon, but to those who know... the truth is much sadder.

When they had finally calmed down, Wolfie broke out of the hug and apologized to the two Pokémon for worrying them.

Poplio and Castcoon nuzzled her chest as if to say you don't need to apologize, it's not your fault. If only that really were true, because to Wolfie that was only a distant hope, an illusion made by others to try and help her cope better, but not the truth.

The nightmare itself was uncontrollable, but why it was there was a different story, one that could've been avoidable had she not...