Chapter Fifteen: The Game That is Chess

As the sun dipped over the volcano, Wolfie and her Pokémon were training for their battle with The Brimber City Gym Leader.

The way Wolfie herself was training was by playing chess with random people they met.

They weren't any good at it, but it did help in evolving her strategies to take on what she could only imagine to be an incredibly hard to beat Gym Leader.

Meanwhile Brionne and the others were training against each other.

From the tidbits that Wolfie got in between chess games, it seemed as though the team was quite evenly matched in terms of strength.

Wolfie had learned through the people who beat her in chess that The Brimber City Gym Leader specialized in fire-types which made Brionne the best chance they would get of winning the battle against him.

Eventually Wolfie got tired of playing chess, and just started watching her Pokémon as they continued to train. Except for Dustox who was thrashing about like usual.

Eventually Bunnelby stopped to sleep on Wolfie's lap, and she chuckled at the amount of little energy it always had to the point of taking so many siestas you would think that there was something terribly wrong with its health.

Then Luxio got distracted by a coin that fell out of someone's pocket, leaving only Brionne and Gastly who were still training.

Both Pokémon seemed to be incredibly focused on perfecting their moves that Wolfie started wondering if they'd ever stop or if they'd keep on training until both of them passed out from exhaustion and overworking.

Eventually they did stop, but only because Dustox crashed into them while it was thrashing about.

Anticlimactic but Wolfie wasn't complaining.

Eventually it was time to face The Gym Leader. Wolfie could admit she was feeling rather nervous all things considered since this Gym Leader seemed pretty strong from what Wolfie had heard.

Wolfie looked at Brionne as they stood before the gates of The Brimber City Gym, and in that moment both of them knew that once they entered those halls there was no going back.

Taking a deep breath which did not help, Wolfie opened the gates, and entered the point of no return.

"Welcome friend to The Brimber City Gym. I'm Sebastian The Gym Leader! I look forward to our battle."

"Same here" Wolfie agreed and Sebastian smiled

"That's the spirit! Now let's get into this!"

The referee nodded, "this battle is between Sebastian The Gym Leader and Wolfie The Challenger! Begin!"

"Litleo I choose you!"

"Give it your all Bunnelby."

"Use Incinerate!"

"Quick Attack on the dot."

Bunnelby rammed into Litleo before getting torched alive by it.

"Now Litleo use Ember!"

"Lower its speed with Mud Shot."

Both attacks hit, but it was clear that Bunnelby was in a lot worse of a condition then Litleo was.

"Bunnelby!" Wolfie shouted in worry for her friend, just then Bunnelby was engulfed in a bright glowing light that was unmistakable. Bunnelby was evolving.

As the bright light broke away from Bunnelby, it revealed its new form.

Diggersby