Ch 55 Reunion

<>=English

I awkwardly sip from my milkshake, Pony Tsunatori sitting across from me as she fiddles with the hair around her horn. Her metal-shod hoof marking a constant rhythm with her nervous taps. Across the cafe, Nyamuri, Minya, and Tormew have their eyes locked on the two of us, making this all the more nerve wracking.

See, Pony and I were childhood friends back in California. Since they were both single, our mothers often got together to gossip about the husbands of their friends. That left Pony and I to entertain each other. She would play with my tail and pet my ears, and I would stroke her horns and fluff her tail. Hours of fun for a couple of toddlers.

Unlike me though, she had more family than just her mother. Her grandmother is the pro hero known as Cow Lady. Or at least she was back when we were kids. Ever since I was forced to stay in Japan I... hadn't paid much attention about what's going on back in America.

I mean, what kind of child would? I didn't know the phone number to get in contact with Pony's mom, I didn't even know if they knew what happened to my own!

I was told that my life as an American was over and not to worry about things that I couldn't change. So... that's what I did. I had no way of going back. No way of contacting my old friend. No way of letting them know what happened. So I did my best to put it out of my mind and continue with my life as best I could.

Ignore how I became the object of worship for a cult, plan to kill the number one hero in the entire world, and have joined forces with a villain organization to do it. Other than all those, I would say that I've been doing pretty well!

Still though, I would be lying if I said I didn't wonder how she was doing. And now, here she is! In Japan! Attending the same hero school as me!

...

What kind of sense does that make!? Out of all the places we could have reunited, it was in the number one hero school in Japan, while I told her entire class that I'm better than them!? It could not have gone worse!

I'm just happy that I managed to get permission to leave campus with her so we could talk in peace. Even if I did have to bring Nyamuri as a chaperone. Apparently she let Minya and Tormew tag along because 'it seems like fun'.

I sigh, watching as Pony stiffens up, her foot falling silent. "<So... Pony. How have mew been?>"

She shifts, her tail moving in the open space of the chair's back. "<Oh! I've been... good. What about you? I noticed that you make cat puns now.>"

"<Yep!>" I say, my voice filled with fake cheer. "<It has to do with my quirk, and how it purrogressed.>"

"<That's nice! Now when I launch my horns, they grow back almost right away!>"

"<Cool! Nyo more people calling you a horse when they can only see your hooves now!>"

"<Yep!>"

We fall into silence, the slurping of our shakes sounding deafening.

...

...

With a noise of irritation, Pony throws her hands up into the air. "<Ugh! I can't take this anymore!>" She looks back down at me with desperation filled eyes. "<Catia, what happened!? All we heard was that your mother died and that you'd be staying in Japan! No matter what Mom and Grandma tried to do, they couldn't find out anything else! Not even who would be taking care of you!>"

I shift uncomfortably, my tail wrapping itself around one of the supports for the seat's back. I'm sure they have an actual name for the rods, but I never learned it. With a swallow, I begin to explain.