Ch 58 Why Am I Here?

(Midorinya)

I sigh, looking down at my bento. Sure, I knew that All Might would be keeping a close eye on me given that I know about both his injury and his quirk, but I thought it would be in a more, 'making sure I don't tell anyone' way. Not casually! That's not even counting what he just asked me! Isn't this question kind of absurd!? Especially for a first year he barely knows!?

"I'm really going to need an explanation on why you think asking me for advice is a good idea." I sigh again, looking up at the man sitting across from me.

All Might, or Toshinori Yagi, as he prefers to be called in his skeleton form, chuckles while sheepishly scratching at the back of his head. "Well, you were my first choice, so I was hoping you could help me decide on my second. You do have classes with the other candidates."

"As opposed to trying to crush their dreams a few minutes after meeting them?" I raise an eyebrow. He at least has the good grace to look apologetic, but he did apologize when he offered me his quirk back on the first day. I still won't let him forget it though. There shouldn't be many people who have something like that to hang over the number one hero's head.

Well, he's not very careful so there probably are, but not many who'd actually do it. Since, again. Number one hero.

"We haven't even known each other for a month." I say flatly. "Yes, it will be a month in a few days, but that's still not enough time to make a good decision on who should get your quirk!"

That get's Yagi to raise an eyebrow. "Really? Haven't you been friends with Young Akihiro for much longer than that? You don't think she would be a good candidate?"

It's at times like these that I really question how he became the number one hero of not only Japan, but the entire world. Has he really not noticed?

"She hates you." I say point blank. Ignoring his gobsmacked expression, I continue. "I'm pretty sure that if you offered it to her, she'd take it just to give it to a random person on the street. If she couldn't give it to whatever animal she comes across first. Then she'd make sure you know and probably anime laugh at your despair."

The blood he coughs up at that is expected at this point, and I make a mental note to look into making something to automatically clean that up. Sure, I'm not his biggest fan either, but judging by the random splatters of blood scattered on campus, he's not big on cleaning up if it happens outdoors. I'm sure that Hatsume could help. She gives off the air of an inventor who'd build anything just to see if they could.

After cleaning it up with his specially designed handkerchief, he mutters half to himself, "Geez, did I offend her family's honor or something?"

I shrug, deciding that I might as well start eating since it seems like this is going to take the entire lunch period. "I'm not sure about that, but you did start your career in America, so it's possible."

He blinks at me as I take a bite of rice. "She's american? I thought her records said that she's from Japan?"

I frown, taking another bite of food. I chew on both that, and the question. I looked a bit into her situation myself after she'd told me, and according to what I found she should have gone back to America. You don't just keep an orphaned child in your country because they don't have any immediate relatives. There'd even been precedents for that sort of thing! Though they thankfully aren't common enough that most people know about them off the top of their heads.

Eventually, after swallowing, I answer. "I'm not entirely sure myself, but someone with good connections didn't want her leaving the country after her mother died." I shrug. "Or maybe they didn't want to deal with the paperwork it would cause to send her back. It could be any number of reasons."