-|DESTINY IV|-

They all sat through dinner. Simon watched as Lucy and Bonnie were deep in conversation as they all ate. He noticed the way Lucy crinkled her nose when she gave a rich laugh. Lucy then started to braid Bonnie's hair, smiling softly. It brought a warmth to Simon's cheeks. It was something about seeing this interaction that made his heart flutter. He just couldn't understand why.

"Mmm! This soup's got such a deep flavor," Fionna complimented.

"It's been simmering for years," Jay explained. "It's the soup mom was cooking the day she died. We just keep adding to it."

"Like a veritable 'soup of Theseus,'" Simon joked.

There was an awkward silence as everybody looked at him.

"No. My mom made it," Jay replied confused.

"No, see, because it's a reference to a famous though experiment by British philosopher Thomas Hobbes..." Simon droned on, in an attempt to save his joke.

Lucy couldn't help but notice Simon's smile as he tried to explain. She could tell he was trying to fit in. Reminded Lucy of when she was younger...or of when Bonnie first found her in the cave.

"Dude, what are you talking about?" Fionna asked.

"Cake?" Bonnie asked.

"Yes?!" Cake responded a bit startled.

"Can all kitties talk where you're from?"

"No, but maybe they will once we find that magic crown, and plop it on Simon" Cake told Bonnie.

This caught Finn's attention. He stopped buttering his bread to glare at the group.

"You're looking for a magic crown?"

"That's actually why we're here," Simon explained as he cleared his throat.

"Jay tells us that you know something of its past and –"

"You're a damn fool!" Finn yelled slamming his hands on the table.

"Not cool, farm boy," Fionna remarked.

Lucy covered Bonnie's ears and glared at Apocolypse Finn.

Finn glanced at his kids and got up with a sigh.

"You can sleep out in the hayloft. Be gone at first light."

Cake slid closer to Fionna.

"Now you two should kiss."

Lucy grabbed her cup of water and dumped it onto Cake.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Fionna and Cake were the first to fall asleep, leaving Simon and Lucy awake.

Lucy sat there, fidgeting with her finger and lost in her thoughts, staring off into space.

"You okay, Lucy?" Simon asked, genuine concern etched on his face.

"Perfectly fine. Why wouldn't I be?" Lucy replied, trying to brush off any signs of distress.

Simon scooted closer to her, his concern deepening, and let out a sigh.

"Because you only fidget with your hands like that when you're close to a mental breakdown."

Lucy looked at Simon, her eyes widening with surprise as his words struck a chord within her.

Simon, feeling a bit flustered, quickly looked away and felt his cheeks flush.

"It's just something I noticed during dinner. T-That's all," he stammered.