Heaven is Brighter Than What it Seems (Grell)

I walked to work the next Monday morning, coming in early so I wouldn't be thrown around by Grell or yelled at by William.

I did not want that again.

I walked into the Dispatch, happy as can be, as I looked over at everyone with a glance, smiling and never happier, as I walked into my little space I always sat at.

I hadn't gotten a cubicle yet, so I sat in a corner with a desk and a little stapler on the side.

It was nice and open, I liked it a lot.

I sat upon my chair and sighed as I took the felt-tip pencil that was out of my hair and I put it onto paperwork. I started furiously writing as I heard clicks of heels coming closer and closer.

I ignored the clicks until they finally came right in front of me. Then tapping of my desk with a pen, fiddling with hair, and every other emotion to bother me until I looked up and saw him.

"Finally, dear~ Don't we have to spend our honeymoon somewhere?" Grell said as he chuckled and played with my hair.
"That was undercover, and I am with someone. You know this," I replied with a harsher tone than I wanted, "that marriage wasn't real, it was for reaping a soul. Nothing more, nothing less," I said.

For some reason, it hurt to say that.

Grell sighed and stopped playing with my hair as he looked down at my hand, the ring still on my and, a different finger. He seemed hurt as he chuckled and walked off.

I didn't understand what was exactly wrong, but something obviously was.

I finished my papers quickly as I started walking out. No souls to reap today. I turned in my papers, gave a quick smile to William, a wink to Ronald, and a wave good bye to everyone else.

Everyone else except him. He left..., I assume.

I rushed home so I could rest as I walked to my door. It seemed to be repainted from the original color of a coral to a white with a cherry red strip on each design of roses and lilies. I had never seen a door so beautiful when it came to design.

I attempted to unlock the door and I succeeded in the process, I walked inside and flowers were every where. I look around, dazed by the sudden thrust of colors and change from monotone to bright and red.

I looked around, the walls were the same color, just repainted, as the metal black stools were exchanged for leather red chairs with black lace designs on the sides.

The counter had been refurbished and everything else was as well. The flowers were the thing that caught the eye.

Black, white and red tiger lilies that were actually real, were upon the counter with a note, a laced red ribbon tied around it, with little Hershey Kisses unwrapped but not eaten, formed into a pair of lips. It was adorable.

The note stated;

My dearest,
It may not be known, but the love for you I have shown is something like no other.
I have loved men and a woman, but no other.
Right now I don't even believe that before you, the love I had was true,
But now after I kissed you, I know I love you.
When we stared into our eyes, on our wedding night,
It was a beautiful sight.
A sight indeed, you were to me,
As I fell in love, again in my history.
If you read my records, seen my files,
You'd see I'd be the one who doesn't end up with a smile.
The ones I'd love, would have a smile on their face,
As they hit me, hurt me, call me a disgrace.
When you and I met, you never did that to me.
And through our life, my love, has grown indefinitely.
It accumulates, day by day, as I see your lovely face,
You eyes, your smile, it makes my heart race.
So please be my Valentine,
Even though it isn't the time.
Please be mine,
I will always love you,
Until we retire.
Together.
Forever.
Please? Be with me.

Love,
Grell Sutcliff

I read the letter, over and over. My heart racing as I saw what had happened. I looked around, begging for him to be there. I searched, begged for his look.

Please be there, Grell!

I heard a few clicks. I whipped my head around, looking for him. Scanning the room, waiting for his eyes to see mine.

Grell, please be there!

I heard another few clicks as I turned around the other way.

All the clicks in different directions. It killed me.

Everything confused me.

Where was he?

Was this an illusion?

Was this a dream?

Was this-?

I don't understand.

Why would this be different now?

What had changed?

It was only a mission! Only a soul!

What had happened? Had mine been taken away?

Did he need his back? What was taken?

Why the sudden change of the relationship?

The tides have turned. The tables have been flipped. The other side has decided.

What is going on?

I heard another click. Only one of a heel as I saw Grell walk out. He stood in the middle of the apartment as I was by the counter, which was closer to the door and in the kitchen, as he only said a word.

"Hello."

His one word shot through me like a bullet, as it made me bleed of pure emotion.

Undeniable, uncontrollable emotion of pure innocence and confusion.

"Hey," I replied back, shyly trying to not sound like I was so desperate for him.
"Did you like the poem?" He said as he moved a few ticks closer.
"Yes, I did," I said, inching closer.
"I was too nervous to read it in front of you," he replied.
"Nervous? You?" I said as we moved closer to each other.
"Yes, I was nervous," he said, teasing but also being cool.

This wasn't like him at all.

"Well, why?" I said, moving up towards him as he to me.
"Well, why wouldn't I be, in front of a beautiful woman in a suit," he said as he chuckled.
"Since maybe pretty people aren't scary?"
"My dear, you are as scary as a wall flower."
"I am scarier than that!"
"Ok, sure."
"I am!"
"Anyways, I was nervous. That is why. Forgive me?" Grell said in a lowered voice.

He put his arm out, inching it forward as it the tips of his fingers grazed my waist.

"Well, don't be," I replied.

"Yes, dear," he said as he kissed my forehead.

He massaged my hand with his fingers as he looked at me. I was in a frozen gaze.

I moved forward and I stared into his eyes. He stared into mine.

Memories of us began flowing, memories upon memories of adventures to the little times at the office. I fell in love with him again.

I am in love with him. I have been since the day we met.

I kissed his lips, holding him close to me as tears of happiness came down from my eyes. My hands shook from all of the adrenalin I was feeling.

He grabbed my hands to calm them down as he moved me closer to his embrace, holding me tightly with love so intense.

He finished the kiss as he whispered into my ear, a few words that meant more than the world.

"Be my Valentine?"

...

"Yes, I will."